British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-14, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Just a note on the Calg H titles. As observed, they were issued in matched pairs.
Does anyone know (Michael Dorosh?) if the Calg H had / wore abbreviated titles of the CF / DEU orders of dress?
Correct abbreviation is CALG HIGHRS

As for abbreviated titles, I'm not sure what you mean? The regiment has worn the same metal oak leaf design since circa 1938, with the exception of the CF era as noted, where the cloth shoulder badge with mirrored oak leaf design was worn. For shirt-sleeve order, the metal titles were worn on the CF green slip-on. Which drove the supply fellows at Base Clothing Stores crazy, because we had to pull the stitching out of the CANADA titles, and poke holes in the slip-on. Some guys even poked holes in the CF shirt to get the cotter pins to go through and allow the metal oakleaves to sit nice and flat on the shoulder strap.
Old 09-05-14, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Michael, Thank-you for the succinct answer. The abbreviated embroidered titles were not acquired and thus not worn by the Calg H (sorry tired fingers...). The metal titles were preferred.
Before the system issue metal titles for the DEU, the old pattern metal titles were worn?
Old 09-05-14, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Hello Michael, Thank-you for the succinct answer. The abbreviated embroidered titles were not acquired and thus not worn by the Calg H (sorry tired fingers...). The metal titles were preferred.
Before the system issue metal titles for the DEU, the old pattern metal titles were worn?
That is another bone of contention. The "system issue" oak leaf is the wrong pattern. BIRKS made ours at regimental expense for the longest time. We still order at regimental expense. The ones the CF produces are too small and ridiculous looking to be worn on the uniform.

Note also that there is a smaller pattern oak leaf of high quality worn on the shoulder board of the Mess Dress uniform. Not to be confused with the CF-issue oak leaf, which has only to my knowledge ever been worn in error. The CF used to send quantities to the military supply stores here and recruits would draw them and sometimes wear them in error instead of wearing the ones issued to them by the regiment. They were quickly set straight.
Old 16-05-14, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Hi Phil, The titles with the separate acorn came from the Canadian Scottish in the early 1990's. I have attached an image of my accumulation of Cdn Scottish CF, DEU, and GD cloth. In comparison, there is an image of the Calg H CF titles. I don't know if the Calg H ever had abbreviated titles. I was not able to record or obtain any.
Hi Bruce, the two piece title for the Cdn Scottish is the one in the upper right corner.
I am still confused as to how the oakleaves badge would be worn, the small plain oakleaf badge. CF era? On the tunic, before the full titles were produced? Was it worn in conjunction with the abbreviated titles? Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 16-05-14, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bruce, My understanding was the abbreviated title over the oak leaf motif, sewn to the CF slip-on. Not sure if they were worn on workdress jacket.