British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-14, 01:12 PM

Default 25th Army Tank Brigade Epaulettes, 11st RTR

I have hade these epaulettes in my collection for a quite long time. They sport the 25th Army Tank Brigade black diabolo wit the correct metal Canadian Maple leaves and the white over black ribbon strips of the 11st Royal Tank Regiment. Since during the war it was the 51st RTR that served with the Brigade, I guess these epaulettes are postwar, but what years? Thank you in advance for your help, gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epaulettes_25th_Army_Tank_Bde_51RTR.jpg (50.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-03-14, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
I have hade these epaulettes in my collection for a quite long time. They sport the 25th Army Tank Brigade black diabolo wit the correct metal Canadian Maple leaves and the white over black ribbon strips of the 11st Royal Tank Regiment. Since during the war it was the 51st RTR that served with the Brigade, I guess these epaulettes are postwar, but what years? Thank you in advance for your help, gents!
Given that 11 RTR served in 25 Army Tk Bde from Dec 40 - Apr 41 and again from Apr - Jun 42, could these have been worn in NA or Italy by someone who remained with the Brigade (Bde HQ perhaps) when his regiment left? In theory if he was detached from his regiment he should have taken down the 11 RTR strips - but that's only the theory. Mike
Old 07-03-14, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Given that 11 RTR served in 25 Army Tk Bde from Dec 40 - Apr 41 and again from Apr - Jun 42, could these have been worn in NA or Italy by someone who remained with the Brigade (Bde HQ perhaps) when his regiment left? In theory if he was detached from his regiment he should have taken down the 11 RTR strips - but that's only the theory. Mike
Always knowledgeable and helpful, Mike! so it's time for my next enquiry!
Old 07-03-14, 10:19 PM

Hi Loupie
Is it definitely white? I had a similar patch that looked white but when I looked under the edges I could see it was originally green, it was just washed out
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 08-03-14, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Hi Loupie
Is it definitely white? I had a similar patch that looked white but when I looked under the edges I could see it was originally green, it was just washed out
Lee
So 51 RTR? Mike
Old 08-03-14, 07:32 AM

Hi, the 51st that I have which has faded, has faded to yellow. It seems to be a problem with locally produced items. I have other insignia where the green has turned to yellow but none to white. Don't know if this helps, Mike
Old 08-03-14, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Hi Loupie
Lee
Unquestionably white, I'd say, Lee, but I have never tried to see what the colour underneath...
Old 08-03-14, 12:29 PM

Default 11 RTR

I assume that this was worn by a member of 11 RTR who for some reason found himself in 13 Inf Div in Greece. This short-lived formation was formed in Oct 45 and disbanded in Oct 46.
11 RTR.01.jpg 11 RTR.02.jpg
Old 08-03-14, 05:54 PM

Hi Mike, interesting. 11th was disbanded in '45, could another unit have those colours. At the time of disbanding they were in Buffaloes with 79th Div. Mike
Old 08-03-14, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Mike, interesting. 11th was disbanded in '45, could another unit have those colours. At the time of disbanding they were in Buffaloes with 79th Div. Mike
It's strange. I cannot find another unit in the 13 Inf Div Orbat that would logically have worn a black and white flash. Perhaps it was worn by the same lost soul who was wearing the 25 Army Tk Bde sign? Mike