British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-08-18, 04:40 PM
Glosters Cloth

Default Army Tank Brigade Diabolo

Does anyone have any information regarding the regulation (sealed pattern) size of the 1st (red) and 21st (yellow) Army Tank Brigade diabolo Brigade Formation badges? 👍
Old 20-08-18, 05:58 PM

An interesting question. There are no sealed patterns for formation signs as they were acquired by the formation concerned from wherever they thought best and were never supplied by the Ordnance system like other things such as cap badges and shoulder and arm titles for which sealed patterns exist.

Interestingly I have also never come across anything that states the size of a formation sign although that was obviously dictated by the space on the arm where it was worn.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found any further information on the size of signs.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosters Cloth View Post
Does anyone have any information regarding the regulation (sealed pattern) size of the 1st (red) and 21st (yellow) Army Tank Brigade diabolo Brigade Formation badges? 👍
Old 20-08-18, 08:28 PM

The only information I have is derived from genuine examples in my collection. Height (mm) x Width (mm), excluding any khaki backing material:

25 Army Tk Bde: 52 x 32
31 Tk Bde: 51 x 26
33 Armd Bde: 44 x 24
35 Tk Bde: 44 x 34
36 Tk Bde: 47 x 24

The triangles are rarely equilateral.
Old 21-08-18, 06:33 AM
Glosters Cloth

Mike,
That's really helpful, thank you.
Howard Cole, Page 126, talking about the 33rd (and 35th) Armoured Brigade states "This Brigade's badge varied from the triangular badges of the other armoured formations inasmuch as the triangles were equilateral".
Old 21-08-18, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Interestingly I have also never come across anything that states the size of a formation sign although that was obviously dictated by the space on the arm where it was worn.
Jon
Jon, in this instance, considering the commonality of the sizes and shapes, essentially two intepretations of the diabolo shape, do you think there may have been some form of semi-official guidance on their size? Possibly at Army District/Command level in the UK?
John
Old 21-08-18, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Mike,
That's really helpful, thank you.
Howard Cole, Page 126, talking about the 33rd (and 35th) Armoured Brigade states "This Brigade's badge varied from the triangular badges of the other armoured formations inasmuch as the triangles were equilateral".
I don't dispute what Howard Cole said, but he was probably basing his statement on examples that he had examined. The sizes I listed were based on actual signs. More dimensions of diablos from Members' collections would be very helpful. The skill of the regiments' tailors will also have been a factor - I has seen some genuine examples where the two triangles have been conjoined.
Old 21-08-18, 12:45 PM

Here's a superb example of 35 Tk Bde - as worn by 155 Regt RAC (DLI). It forms the cover of a photo album assembled at the CO's command when 155 Regt RAC disbanded.
155 Regt RAC.02.jpg
Old 21-08-18, 02:13 PM
Glosters Cloth

I fully agree Mike. Fingers crossed some more members come onboard and we can try and find some commonality, or otherwise. The 35 Tk Bde image you posted in stunning. A privilege to see it. Thank you. ��
Old 22-08-18, 08:39 AM
Glosters Cloth

Mike/Jon/John,
Please check out mcgregor.uk.net for a 33rd Tk Bde badge (Lot 291) for sale. Definately not equilateral triangles.
I'm finding this quite confusing ��.
Old 22-08-18, 09:30 AM

Default 1 Tk Bde

Here's an unusual one from my collection. Mike
20170907_Display of signs.01.1.jpg
Old 23-08-18, 12:00 AM
Glosters Cloth

Mike,
Another super badge.
I went to Bovington today but didn't pick up much in the way of formation badge info.
Old 23-08-18, 12:04 AM

Here’s my solitary example....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 23-08-18, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Mike/Jon/John,
Please check out mcgregor.uk.net for a 33rd Tk Bde badge (Lot 291) for sale. Definately not equilateral triangles.
I'm finding this quite confusing ��.
I think the problem is that they are probably made in unit
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 23-08-18, 08:30 AM

Just the one, never measured the triangles.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:33 PM.
Old 23-08-18, 08:59 AM

Here's an interesting take, Bruno Boulanger in his WW2 British Formation Badges lists a few bdes with both isoceles and equilateral triangles noting them as 1941 (isoceles) and 1944/45 (equilateral). Anyone have any evidence to confirm that?
John