British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-08-18, 01:31 PM

Default Slouch Hat Badges 1902-04, Officers of Line Regiments wearing the Home Service Helmet

I am looking for any input, images, observations etc. on the badges worn by officers in the slouch hat (or terai) in the period c. 1902 - c. 1903.

In particular officers of line regiments who wore the home service helmet in full dress.

Recall that we have mentioned on the forum before that the Terai, or Slouch Hat, was officially sealed (SPN 5849/1902) in 1902 as the headdress to be used with the new khaki service dress when on maneuvers and on service abroad. The hat was turned up on one side with a regimental badge placed on the turned up portion.

On Jan 5, 1903, at a meeting in the pattern room of the RACD, the decision was taken that the same badge was to be worn on both the FSH, and the Universal Service Hat (Slouch Hat / Terai). The records of this meeting show that, infantry regiments were to use their helmet plate centres, fitted with a slider as the badge for this headdress. Where an infantry regiment did not wear the home service helmet, the Glengarry badge, or the existing full dress badge was to be worn fitted with the long sliders.

The program is generally seen as a failure and many battalions were never issues the badges

Did officers of such regiments simply wear their helmet plate centres on the cap (where battalions adopted the practice before it was obsoleted) or is there any evidence that officers wore the full dress helmet plate with crown removed)

An image of a Connaught Rangers Officers Helmet plate with crown removed is the reason for the question. I do not have images to share.

John
Old 20-08-18, 06:35 PM

John, I know that reference and the officers did indeed have a nice gilt version of the HPC - without a crown. There is a nice KLR example in Peter Brydon's album. There was a mention of another regiment's officer's 'card' that had 1903 date. Despite searches I have not come across photographs with either officer's or ORs wearing the badge has come forth - your CR image is a breakthrough ! I think the whole episide was an expensive mistake as they were only worn for five minutes if at all !

As for the ORs there are a number of regiments had long slidered 'HPCs' - I have a KLR example in my album, with the 'socket' authorised at the same time. There is little in the ACD ledgers but the B&P papers at the NAM lists the regiments were to have them. I'll try and dig it out for you.
best wishes
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903 pagri a.jpg (51.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1903 pagri b.jpg (55.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by KLR; 20-08-18 at 06:58 PM. Reason: missing word !
Old 20-08-18, 07:30 PM

Hi John,

I have both slidered OR's versions, socket and a gilt, silver and enamel Officer's version in my Royal Sussex album for reference.

KR,

Pete
Old 20-08-18, 09:19 PM

Nice collection Pete - you're as fanatic as me ! Interesting that there are two OR versions for R Sussex !
It / they are definitely 1903, recorded in the National Archives (War Office).
A few years ago someone put up an 'officer's card' for a regiment (which i cannot remember which) which had the 1903 badge included.
Old 21-08-18, 03:16 AM

Hi KLR,

I've also identified a third type to ORs with an even longer slider but I don't have an examle to show.

KR,

Pete
Old 21-08-18, 04:17 AM

It ocurred to me that I did not have both of the OR's versions in my album, so I put these together to illustrate the badges.

KR,

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180821_081259.jpg (58.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_081240.jpg (57.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 21-08-18, 06:44 AM

Very nice ! It is strange that there should be two (three) versions of a badge that was abandoned. Are there any R Suss archives that might throw some light on this ?
Old 21-08-18, 06:48 AM

I don't think that I have ever seen a photograph of the period in question here, where a ranker in any regiment is actually wearing a helmet plate centre on his slouch hat.

Has anyone got any such photographs they could show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
I am looking for any input, images, observations etc. on the badges worn by officers in the slouch hat (or terai) in the period c. 1902 - c. 1903.

In particular officers of line regiments who wore the home service helmet in full dress.

Recall that we have mentioned on the forum before that the Terai, or Slouch Hat, was officially sealed (SPN 5849/1902) in 1902 as the headdress to be used with the new khaki service dress when on maneuvers and on service abroad. The hat was turned up on one side with a regimental badge placed on the turned up portion.

On Jan 5, 1903, at a meeting in the pattern room of the RACD, the decision was taken that the same badge was to be worn on both the FSH, and the Universal Service Hat (Slouch Hat / Terai). The records of this meeting show that, infantry regiments were to use their helmet plate centres, fitted with a slider as the badge for this headdress. Where an infantry regiment did not wear the home service helmet, the Glengarry badge, or the existing full dress badge was to be worn fitted with the long sliders.

The program is generally seen as a failure and many battalions were never issues the badges

Did officers of such regiments simply wear their helmet plate centres on the cap (where battalions adopted the practice before it was obsoleted) or is there any evidence that officers wore the full dress helmet plate with crown removed)

An image of a Connaught Rangers Officers Helmet plate with crown removed is the reason for the question. I do not have images to share.

John
Old 21-08-18, 09:26 AM

Hi All,

I totally agree: I have never seen evidence of these actually in use either but I would be very interested to if anyone does have a photo or record.
KR,

Pete
Old 26-08-18, 01:01 PM

Indeed and as cap badges had already been worn as a matter of course whilst actually on campaign, I am surprised at even the suggestion of a helmet plate centre being worn, it would look rather odd.