British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-11, 01:35 AM

Question badge carving on Fort Lasalle Dormitory (1912) at RMC of Canada

I'm curious about the limestone carvings on this photo of the Fort Lasalle Dormitory (1912) at the Royal Military College of Canada. It is not quite clear enough for me to identify. At the top of the building, I see a crown, a shield and what might be initials in the shield. Any ideas what they signify?

Midway up the building, the carving reads '19 RMC 12'. Above the door, the carving reads 'Dormitory'.

I know that Fort Lasalle dormitory was initially known as Fort Frederick dormitory and that the Commandant at RMC from 1909-13 was Colonel J.H.V. Crowe.

I note that the two shields by the door are blank. I understand that the RMC college building designers, such as the Dominion architect, included shields, which were in several cases, subsequently carved by the Dominion sculptor in Ottawa, and reinstalled in Kingston.

Victoria Edwards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMC Fort Lasalle dormitory 1912.jpg (45.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Fort Lasalle Dormitory RMC 1912.JPG (48.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Victoria Edwards; 14-11-11 at 01:43 AM.
Old 14-11-11, 05:11 PM

I was so sorely wrong the last time, I'm reluctant to pop off, but could this just be GvR for George V. Date would fit. You need one a zoom lens for that camera of yours
Old 15-11-11, 12:14 AM

Thumbs up badge carving on Fort Lasalle Dormitory (1912) at RMC of Canada

Solid assessment.

Ross McKenzie, the curator of the RMC museum wrote me to say 'that the design on the top shield is an intertwined monogram of the letters GR. If so, it obviously would stand for 'George Rex' -King George V being the monarch when the dormitory was built.'

Ross speculates that the college never followed up to add decorative carving on the other two shields 'that the money wasn't available and that priorities lay elsewhere for the little that did. The Great War followed a few years after the completion of the building and thus it's no wonder that the focus shifted.'

Victoria Edwards
Old 15-11-11, 12:20 AM

Thumbs up badge carving on Fort Lasalle Dormitory (1912) at RMC of Canada

George the fifth assigned the Armorial Ensigns for the RMC of Canada on 31 July 1920, in the 11th year of his reign. The Royal Warrant assigning the Armorial Ensigns for RMC was extracted from the Records of the College of Arms, London.

Last edited by Victoria Edwards; 15-11-11 at 12:25 AM.

Tags
rmc