British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-16, 03:24 PM

Default Unknown Rifles Buttons

Hi there,

Hopefully somebody might have a positive ID for these buttons.

They are similar to the Kings Royal Rifle Corps (Ripley 379), except that these pattern buttons have cords/tassels hanging down from the bow/knot whereas the KRRC button just has the bugle strings terminating in the bow/knot.
As there are two different makers, I think it is unlikely to be a manufacturers variation/error etc.

[Ripley 1855-200 - #379 : The King's Royal Rifle Corps. Officers Black Metal QVC, KC and QC. 1881-1958]

Or is it a Rifle Brigade variation?

Any ideas please?

The versions shown below are:
1. QVC, Blackened Brass, 25mm diameter with backmark “JENNENS & Co LONDON (PoW Plumes).
2. KC, Blackened Brass, 25.8mm diameter with backmark “J.R. GAUNT & SON Ltd LONDON ENGd”.
3. KC, White Metal – possibly Blackened or just dirty, 26mm diameter with backmark “J.R. GAUNT & SON LONDON”.

For comparison purposes etc. I have also shown on red backgrounds
4. A KRRC Officer’s button (Ripley 379)
5. A Rifle Brigade button which is of similar design

But again it is the tassels/cords that is the difference. Am I reading too much in to them?

Any help of suggestions gratefully received.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown BB QVC KC Bugle01.jpg (20.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown BB QVC KC Bugle BK01.jpg (19.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown WM KC Bugle01.jpg (29.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown WM KC Bugle BK01.jpg (18.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg KRRC_OffsKC02.JPG (23.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Rifle_Brigade_UnknownQVC01.jpg (24.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-07-16, 04:01 PM

Hello Ian

I have seen these buttons before (might even have one somewhere) but I have always thought this was just a manufacturer's variation. The 1900 Dress Regulations just specifies a bugle with strings (no specific mention of with or without tassels) and I suppose this was open to interpretation!

As you know there are lots of minor variations on buttons, different spellings and so on. If this is not such a variation then it could be a Colonial or Volunteer Rifles button but if so I am at a loss to make a suggestion.

Regards
Roger
Old 04-07-16, 04:45 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply.
I did wonder if I was reading too much into the presence of the cords/tassels, so will put them down as a 'Manufacturers variation'.
I think I have another couple of examples in boxes upstairs somewhere as well - so they are fairly common.

I have also seen them described as Rifle Brigade as well, but I think you are correct in stating that they are a 'Manufacturers variation' on "The King's Royal Rifle Corps - Officers Black Metal QVC, KC and QC. 1881-1958".

So that is another 3 buttons I can remove from my unknown's box.

All the best

Ian