British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-16, 12:50 PM

Default Hertfordshire Regiment

The simplicity and obvious authenticity of this small item appeals to me. Worn by 1 Herts Regt, 66 Inf Bde, 1 Inf Div in Italy from Sep 44 to Jan 45 and thereafter in Palestine. They were brigaded with 2 RS and 11 LF.
1 Herts Regt, 66 Inf Bde from Sep 44_01.jpg1 Herts Regt, 66 Inf Bde from Sep 44_02.jpg
Old 18-05-16, 10:52 PM

Default Herts Regt

Mike, a very nice example. I have attached a photo of a single red heart that has been attributed to 2 Bn, Herts Regt in WW2, but was also worn by 1 Herts during WW1 (as listed by IWM & Waring).

The second photo is of a combination that came up for sale many years ago. As can be seen by the watermark, I hope Steve Bosley doesn't mind some free advertising.
This Lot was advertised as 2nd Hertfordshire Regiment, 73 Independent Infantry Brigade WW2 combination circa Sep-Dec 1942. However, I've also seen the blue heart attributed to a Wiltshire Bn, and the black/yellow bumble bee flash of the Bedfs & Herts Regt also throws in another curved ball. I know the Herts Regt were part of the Bedfs & Herts Regt 'Corps' but I've never seen the bumble bee flash worn by them. Also having served in 73 Independent Bde were 8 Bn Bedfs & Herts Regt 7.41. to 12.42. so could the flash be theirs?

Any observations?

Stephen.
Old 19-05-16, 04:24 AM

I did quite a lot of research into the Bosley combination at the time it was on offer. The combination, with black/amber/black regimental flash can be seen in IWM image H 19328 dated 6 May 42 and is identified as 8 Bedfs & Herts. In the image the heart is either not visible or not present. Curiously this same image appears in the regimental journal of the R Innisk Fus of 1942 captioned "Our Battalion in Northern Ireland" (being inspected by HM The King).So - bottom line - 8 Bedfs & Herts. Mike

Afternote. The black/amber/black flash in a diamond format was worn by another (unident) Bedfs & Herts battalion. A flash in these colours may (may) also have been worn by 14 Med Regt RA (ex 10 Bedfs & Herts).