British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-22, 07:34 PM

Default Home Guard novice...

I recently was given a quantity of HG items. I think some are POST War...

Cloth s/t's HOME GUARD embroidered on khaki -

Black thread

Gold thread

Green thread

White thread

Cream thread

White printed

White paint...all patently genuine.

Also can any kind soul ID Bn locations of Essex 8/Renfrewshire 4/Cambridge 6/Norfolk 16.

Finally I think I'm safe to say White HOME GUARD on red is post war with GLASGOW 2 below.

Finally, for film buffs - CIS over XIV and

YME over 4, I'm told from the film, 'The Eye of the Needle' can anyone confirm this or suggest another, thanks all. Pics can follow on Tue when I get to a scanner.
Old 03-09-22, 08:03 PM

Here you go
Ex 8 - Colchester. Ren 4 - Renfrew. Cam 6 - Cambridge. Nor 16 Norwich.
Best you post photos for other items
Regards
Old 03-09-22, 08:07 PM

Default Cambridgeshire Home Guard

The 6th Cambridgeshire Home Guard was the GPO Btn who had their headquarters in Cambridge and were made up of GPO employees who had to protect communications.

8th Essex Home Guard were based in Colchester.

Rob
Old 03-09-22, 11:01 PM

This short clip from the ,movie Eye of the Needle should answer your question about CIS/XIV. Look for it about 58 seconds into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZTWyNrWkqk

Terry
Old 04-09-22, 08:49 AM

Default Gentlemen, MANY thanks

What a helpful lot one finds on the BBF, thank you so much & pics to follow Tue.
Old 06-09-22, 09:25 AM

Default Pics HG

Comment much appreciated, THANKS

CIS is eye of the 'Eye of the Nedle' prop, YME etc no idea, all other I think OK? Are some post War, obviously 'Glasgow' etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HG al103.jpg (70.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg HG al 2104.jpg (53.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by buttonhole badge; 06-09-22 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-09-22, 03:46 PM

White letters on red titles were used in the 2nd phase of the HG, i.e. the '50s. The unit location below the title was also in red, and all of the ones I have are sort of rubber backed with what looks like he letters applied to it.

Terry
Old 06-09-22, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonhole badge View Post
Comment much appreciated, THANKS

CIS is eye of the 'Eye of the Nedle' prop, YME etc no idea, all other I think OK? Are some post War, obviously 'Glasgow' etc
YME 4 is from another film - I can't remember whether it is Colonel Blimp or Get Cracking.

The Second Phase postwar HG red 'Home Guard Glasgow 2' may well be a repro fake - the writing doesn't look great and the cut out piece of khaki is often used to hide poor repro knotting/threads on the back of the badges.

The blue and black Home Guard titles are correct - the colours have been associated with the Manchester area HG.

All the shoulder titles in the second photo look kosher.
Old 07-09-22, 12:23 AM

Another thing I just noticed - the HG title under the Glasgow one is the first issue narrow one. It was found to be difficult to sew on so a second issue was made with a wider khaki portion.

Although i still don't know how thy are able to turn he fabric under and sew it on like I've seen done. My guess is they have sewing elves come in at night and do it instead of making shoes!!!

I did do a little searching for the YME 4 title. From what I found it is not in "Colonel Blimp". The only glimpse I foudn was at about 4:38 into the video into this documentary of the making of the film. made during the war, I loved seeing the MTC badges and her cap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFStj7I6n_c

Not "Get Cracking" either that I found, as they are wearing LOA over 29, as can be seen at 12:48 into the movie. Now I haven't watched the entire movie yet and there may be another HG unit depicted, so I'll watch the movie and if so I'll advise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4TgzwjQ4gA

I also checked out a movie title "Went the Day Well" also made during the war. I did not find any HG units or insignia in it, but a lovely WLA girl in breeches trousers and armband!

Next I checked a movie titled "Whiskey Galore" but saw no HG units. There is a sergeant wearing a yellow on red Scottish Command Troops TRF and a Fusilier bomb and the letters LF on his shoulder strap.

Then, "Joe Madison's War" where Joe is in the HG. They are wearing DHM over 2 with a bugle cap badge with some letters or Roman Numeral numbers.

"A Diary for Timothy", a short feature had assorted real footage from during he war and showed Some HG in a parade and later in a pub. Hard to tell, but it looked as if they were wearing BUX or BUN over 5.

These are all I could find with any possible HG units that might wear the YME over 4 title.

Terry

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 07-09-22 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-09-22, 08:57 AM

Default Superb effort!

Dear All, Thanks so much for all the work, especially ID'ing the Col Blimp title...the colour hasn't come out well in the pic, the blue title is actually green! Sorry I hadn't noticed.
I'll unpick a bit of the Glasgow title & advise...

Glad to get a clean bill of health otherwise.