British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14-02-22, 10:09 AM
Malcolm Davey's Avatar
Malcolm Davey Malcolm Davey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 1,600
Default Helmet plate

I have this Helmet plate which had no Gilt remaining

I sent it to Germany to get it fire guilded and this was the result
Well happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Large Kings Crown 1.jpg (81.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Large Kings Crown 2.jpg (84.6 KB, 190 views)
__________________
http://www.watlingmilitaria.com/



Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14-02-22, 10:17 AM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,460
Default

Stunning
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14-02-22, 10:56 AM
tonyb's Avatar
tonyb tonyb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Huytonshire
Posts: 3,065
Default

Looks a million Dollars very impressive.
Tony.
__________________
For Christopher night night son.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-02-22, 02:30 PM
Volunteer Soldier Volunteer Soldier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 169
Default

Malcolm, Well done - it looks terrific. What does the rear of the plate look like?
Are you prepared to tell us more?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-02-22, 04:38 PM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,184
Default

Absolutely beautiful work!!! Would never guess it was the same badge.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-02-22, 05:02 PM
magpie's Avatar
magpie magpie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 1,888
Default

If it's the same person that did it and I was told there was only one he charged something like £20-5 per Sq inch about 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14-02-22, 07:49 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Davey View Post
I have this Helmet plate which had no Gilt remaining

I sent it to Germany to get it fire guilded and this was the result
Well happy
Have you got the details of the place/person you got this done ? Ive some stuff i'd like redoing.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14-02-22, 11:56 PM
Malcolm Davey's Avatar
Malcolm Davey Malcolm Davey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 1,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer Soldier View Post
Malcolm, Well done - it looks terrific. What does the rear of the plate look like?
Are you prepared to tell us more?
Its not in my hands at the mo on its way back from Germany.
__________________
http://www.watlingmilitaria.com/



Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15-02-22, 12:03 AM
Malcolm Davey's Avatar
Malcolm Davey Malcolm Davey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 1,600
Default

Here is the address
Mr Dirk Meyer
Fire gilding studio
Neppen 1
D-88167
Maierhofen
Germany

Ask for a quote before you send as large pieces can be expensive
__________________
http://www.watlingmilitaria.com/



Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15-02-22, 11:15 AM
altcar73 altcar73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Formby, Merseyside
Posts: 1,865
Default

Take care in sending anything to Germany (or any other EU country). Ensure that the guy there, when returning the item completes an accurate customs declaration. If its not correctly completed the item is likely to be detained by the Border Force pending payment of VAT and duty. Even if it is correctly completed there may be a bill to pay. Plus Royal Mail/Parcelforce my want £12 from you for handling the process.

If they say its vatable you will HAVE to pay to get the item and argue later. Appealing is a tortuous process not for the faint hearted. I have bitter experience. I got some cash back but not all and it took months. Forewarned is forearmed!

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 15-02-22 at 11:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15-02-22, 11:47 AM
magpie's Avatar
magpie magpie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 1,888
Default

Hello Malcolm, Assuming you don't have to pay any customs duty how much did this cost to have done with postage both ways etc.

It would also be nice to see the completed badge when you receive it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15-02-22, 08:38 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Davey View Post
Here is the address
Mr Dirk Meyer
Fire gilding studio
Neppen 1
D-88167
Maierhofen
Germany

Ask for a quote before you send as large pieces can be expensive
Thanks Malcolm.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15-02-22, 08:39 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Take care in sending anything to Germany (or any other EU country). Ensure that the guy there, when returning the item completes an accurate customs declaration. If its not correctly completed the item is likely to be detained by the Border Force pending payment of VAT and duty. Even if it is correctly completed there may be a bill to pay. Plus Royal Mail/Parcelforce my want £12 from you for handling the process.

If they say its vatable you will HAVE to pay to get the item and argue later. Appealing is a tortuous process not for the faint hearted. I have bitter experience. I got some cash back but not all and it took months. Forewarned is forearmed!

Dave.
Thanks Dave.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15-02-22, 08:57 PM
manchesters's Avatar
manchesters manchesters is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 7,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Hello Malcolm, Assuming you don't have to pay any customs duty how much did this cost to have done with postage both ways etc.

It would also be nice to see the completed badge when you receive it.
I too would be interested in how much it has cost in total, with having some of my plates that could be done.

regards
__________________
Simon Butterworth

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18-02-22, 11:05 AM
manchesters's Avatar
manchesters manchesters is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 7,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
I too would be interested in how much it has cost in total, with having some of my plates that could be done.

regards
Malcolm,

Any chance of an answer to the questions re price.

regards
__________________
Simon Butterworth

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.