British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-06-13, 11:44 PM

Well I'm confused, why would a bronze badge be hallmarked in the first place. Too my mind hallmarked means it is made from silver and maker marked could be any metal or alloy. Is it because a bronze osd badge would normally have blade fasteners?

Cheers Paul

Forever learning.
Old 18-06-13, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tourist View Post

Footnote:
I am also curious: who are we to determine a buyer has overbid for an item?

Perhaps, in the immediate example, it would be wise to ask oneself the question: do two collectors, possibly unknown to the Membership of this Forum, know something the Members do not? In which case, maybe we should seek to discover what it is that drives their mutual enthusiasm to secure the badge in question. Just a thought!
Dear S.T,

To answer your questions:

Who are we to determine what has been bid? This statement is expressed as an opinion of one who collects badges to this unit. Generally speaking, people will pay what it takes to secure a badge for their collection, but in my opinion the price has been temporarily inflated. Like everything else, it's just an opinion. I don't think someone's opinion should be regarded as impertinence even if you don't agree with the opinion.

Why would two Ebayers overbid for this? The bronze officer badge is certainly uncommon, but the badge was also worn by the WW1 Fife Volunteer Regt. It is also unusual in that it bucks the general trend of not having blades but instead has a slider. The slider bronze badge was worn as an officers badge.
Old 18-06-13, 09:12 PM

Default Hallmarks

As previous on this thread why hallmark bronze,it is not just precious metals Gold /Silver/platinum that are Assayed(hallmarked) an example is that the French Assayed their WW1 Victory Medals
Paul