British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-15, 04:12 PM
Hanbut

Default Merchants of Dross

I guess I am off yours and Peters Christmas card list then?
Old 29-11-15, 04:54 PM

Hello

I have been following these posts with interest and I can honestly say that I can see both sides of the argument that seems to have emerged out of the original post.

On the one had you cannot blame someone for meeting the demand for reproduction badges which obviously exists but on the other hand some attempt should really be made to mark reproduction items as "Repro".

I don't think it is sufficient to say, for example, that modern materials have been used because not all collectors (particularly new ones who are the life blood of this hobby) will realise what this means. Nor is it sufficient that a particular website displays these reproductions as copies or whatever.

The first sale of an item may well be as a legitimate reproduction but with some ageing (artificial or otherwise) the next sale could well be as "original wartime" and that is what seems to be happening. I wonder if the ebay dealer selling Christopher Lee's collection realises that most of the items are reproduction "he would never buy anything over £20 and almost all copies" - Hanbut in post 41! I wonder what his buyers will think!

In this day and age it surely cannot be beyond the bounds of possibility to clearly mark reproductions as such, whether they be cloth or metal. Yes, they might then be fixed to a material backing or similar but at least any potential buyer would be able to check at some point.

I mean no offence or disrespect to anyone on this forum, all far more experienced badge collectors than me, and I hope that none will be taken.

Regards
Roger
Old 29-11-15, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

If you wish to invisibly mark and item but allow it to be detectable a UV pen as used by police forces to add postcodes to items in case of theft would do the job. You can even mark the fronts.
Old 29-11-15, 06:38 PM
Hanbut

Default Copy Badges

Alan that is certainly an idea but unless collectors have uv lights which is the best way to tell my modern made items they will not be able to see. The SAS beret that was sold the other day for £350 was not one of my badges but I do know the badge would glow under a UV light as I know the maker of it. I also know a dealer again who I mentioned before from Dover that would simply grind out the marks on the slider of a badge or put a new slider on it, how many badges are in collections that have had new sliders or loops? I am open to sensible suggestions. Not the stupid ignorant flippant remarks that help nobody and quite honestly make me think why bother worrying about it, but I am and have been a collector since I was 13 and know how damaging it can be to the business. Just by saying 'dont make them' is not reality.
Old 04-12-15, 12:43 PM
Banned

Fakes will always be made because there's money in it. Who is going to mark fakes? The makers? Lol they want them sold, preferably as genuine where they'll make more money.
Does anyone think that makers in Vietnam, Pakistan, India or anywhere else are worried that collectors think that what they're doing is wrong? In what I collect some of the biggest dealers have been creating fakes and selling them as genuine for 25+ years.
What about the uniforms that are made up using genuine items and then sold as genuine but have had a para wing or SAS insignia added to it to get more money? There's at least one example of a forum member doing this.
Some people will do anything to make money and in my opinion the proliferation of fakes will only get worse.
Old 06-12-15, 07:16 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Thumbs up 24th lancers Bullion badge

g'day Andy

I see that this load of rubbish is still going, but I dont understand why.

As the current owner of the badge all I can say is that I trust you completly and am more than happy with the badge and it will be part of my collection for many years to come. But I also acknowledge you kind offer of a full refund, however, that is neither sought or wanted.

Regards

Phil.
Old 06-12-15, 08:13 AM

Quite frankly, I don't understand why this thread was actually started in the first place, or indeed, the point of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
g'day Andy

I see that this load of rubbish is still going, but I dont understand why.

As the current owner of the badge all I can say is that I trust you completly and am more than happy with the badge and it will be part of my collection for many years to come. But I also acknowledge you kind offer of a full refund, however, that is neither sought or wanted.

Regards

Phil.
Old 30-07-16, 03:21 PM
Banned

Well,

Here is a real one to share with you all

FMT600
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LATEST HEAD DRESS JULY 2016 016a.jpg (32.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 30-07-16, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT600 View Post
Well,

Here is a real one to share with you all

FMT600
Cracking, FMT600!!! I love it - but you're already aware of that.

And another original in my album, too:http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2407

Best,

Marcus

Tags
bullion, cap badge, copy, lancers