British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-08-20, 10:20 PM

Default 1 Royal Ulster Rifles Printed Shoulder Titles

Does anyone know what the regulations were concerning the shoulder titles and divisional insignia worn by the 1 RUR within the 6th airlanding brigade? Some of what I've read seems to suggest that when the titles were officially adopted after Oct '43 as black on rifle green they were issued as printed rather than embroidered titles, which also seems to fit with other 6th airborne units like 1canpara but I've found what seems to be examples of both versions with 1RUR. The colour of rifle green is also a bit unclear, I assume it is the dark evergreen like colour but titles have faded and show everything from dark green through grey/olive drab looking titles; examples attached. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png RUR emb.PNG (78.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png RUR emb 2.PNG (87.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpeg RUR print.jpeg (22.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg RUR print 1.jpg (16.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg RUR print 5.jpeg (28.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 21-08-20, 03:50 PM

The official issue title for all regiments and Corps introduced in 1943 was the printed version - but there is ample evidence that unofficial embroidered titles were worn by most regiments and Corps as they looked nicer than the printed examples.

The only reliable evidence for the authenticity and wartime use of embroidered titles comes from photos and where they exist, surviving badged battle dress.

The official RUR printed titles were as you show very dark green - known as rifle green - which made the lettering hard to read and it seems logical that some acquired embroidered versions with lighter grounds so that they could be read - although such lighter tones could not really be said to be rifle green.

I'd be interested in the opinion of others on this topic.

Jon
Old 21-08-20, 10:02 PM

As Jon mentioned "rifle green" is very dark and the regiments that used black lettering made the titles very difficult to discern.
It is understandable that many would wish to have a nicer looking title. Regulations are often ignored when an unpopular bit of insignia or gear is specified.
I have to say I like the lighter shade of green myself.

CB

CB

Tags
airborne patches, insignia, royal ulster rifles, shoulder titles