British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-10-16, 07:34 PM

Default WW2 Military Police uniform

Hello! Its my first post.
I thought I might share this photo of my granddad, Augustus Savill, resplendent in his Military Police uniform during WW2.
I'm not entirely sure where he served; out East somewhere - there were mutterings of India but I'm not sure that's correct. He had been a plasterer before the war, but was very proud to have been a Redcap, and seemed to have enjoyed his time serving. He died in the 1970's.
I was wondering what might have been at the end of that chain - a whistle, perhaps? And whats the hooky thing for in the button hole above?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gus Savill.jpg (37.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Gus Savill hook & chain.jpg (71.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 28-10-16, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Mandolin, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
That is an excellent image of your grandfather.
There is a good chance the chain and hook attachment are for a whistle.
Old 28-10-16, 10:51 PM

It's almost certainly a whistle chain, but I can't see the 'hooky thing'.

David
Old 28-10-16, 11:21 PM

Hi,
As an ex copper I can say it's a whistle chain and hook you can see. He has it hooked up wrong, well different to how I was show to rig it up As I can't see the other end of the chain I couldn't say for sure that he has a whistle at the end

But as he's RMP it is sure he has

Regards
Irv
Old 29-10-16, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the clarification, it didn't occur to me until after I had posted the photo that the chain and hook might be connected!
Now I'm curious as to how it should have been done, Irv....?
Old 10-11-16, 01:18 PM

Hi Mandolin,

I'm ex RMP and I can say without any doubt that is his whistle. While he was on duty he would have had to carry his "appointments" which was his whistle, notebook, armband and warrant card.

I've attached a photo of a WW1 whistle I found on line but it is the same design as he would be wearing.

As for the correct way to wear it I have seen it worn three different ways. Some units I was in said the hook had to go flat around the underneath of the button above or below the button hole that the chain comes out of so that it couldn't be seen, others said it had to be poked out of the button hole so it was visible (in the way your grandfather is wearing it). I've also seen the chain come out of the pocket and around the edge of the jacket rather than through the button hole.

All three ways are acceptable and it was usually down to either how the individual wanted to wear it or more usually how the Regimental Sergeant Major said they would wear it.

Great photo by the way.

Hope that helps,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1-British-Military-WHISTLE-with-metal-chain-I-_57.jpg (53.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-11-16, 04:26 AM

Brilliant! Thanks so much.

(I think we might still have the whistle. Its one of those things that gets lost in plain sight hanging on the dog lead hooks for the past few decades...)
Old 11-11-16, 07:24 AM

Mandolin,
You should be able to claim his records through the Veterans Agency log on and follow the link to claim his records so long as you have his service number it is quite simple.

Regards

Stephen
Old 11-11-16, 03:36 PM

This is the link Stephen refers to

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records

You will see there are separate routes for 'next of kin' and 'not next of kin'. From memory a charge of about £30 is made. It can take a few weeks but helps fill in gaps for sure. Also I think a telephone enquiry may yield guidance if required

Mike
Old 11-11-16, 09:35 PM

Thank you both; I'll try to find his number so I can go ahead and look up his records.

Tags
military police, redcap, ww2 mp