British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-18, 01:08 PM

Default Queen's Royal Irish Hussars Piper & Drummer

My latest acquisition from our favourite electronic auction site.
Because of the wealth of detail and lots of close ups, I'll publish this in 2 posts.
A card bearing 4 photographs and 5 badges, all to the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars 1958-1993. 3 of the 4 photos show the same individual, wearing the saffron cloak, and presumably kilt, of that unit. The detail that surprised me is that he is wearing a different cap badge in each photo, with examples of the badge on the card.
Photo 1: The card as bought. 4 Photos, 5 badges - descriptions below
Photo 2, top left: Piper wearing dark green caubeen with a Maid of Erin cap badge, which appears top centre of the card and is a sew on anodised badge usually worn as an arm badge. Worn with a white over red horse hair(?) plume or hackle with a ball fitting.
Photo 3 bottom left: Same piper wearing the much smaller anodised other ranks cap badge with a similar plume, but no ball mounting visible.
Photo 4, top right: The same individual in a candid photo preparing for a parade (?). Caubeen with gilt pipers badge, either 1st pattern with reversed 'N' or 2nd pattern with correct 'N'. Examples of both are on the card, but unable to tell which precise pattern being worn. Note, now worn with a feather hackle. Individual also wearing silver anodised (?) pipers badge above NCO's crown on sleeve. Possibly bandmaster, or staff sergeant (?)

continued in post below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4185.jpg (51.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4186.jpg (64.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4194.jpg (49.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4190.jpg (35.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 27-04-18, 01:18 PM

Photo 5: The 2 variants of the Pipers Cap Badge. Both superbly made and gilded, with loops at East and West. Note the reversed 'N' on the first pattern
Photo 6, bottom right: A drummer corporal wearing chain mail eppaulettes and the badge usually refered to as a pouch badge on his caubeen with a feather hackle. An example of the badge is bottom centre of the card and has 3 screw posts at North, East and West. Proof this badge was worn on head dress.

A stunning collection of badges and photographic proof of their use by what must be a very rare individual piper from the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. A google search has revealed very few photos of this pipe band which originally only had 2 pipers! Then also a photograph of a drummer from the same unit. I've asked the vendor if she has any further details, but hope that somebody on the forum may be able to identify the piper.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4191.jpg (76.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4188.jpg (37.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 27-04-18, 01:23 PM

Default Pipe Major QRIH

A picture of a photocopy. But shows the crown worn above the four bar PM chevrons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1524835196834-2014321774.jpg (51.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by irishhorse; 27-04-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 27-04-18, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
A picture of a photocopy. But shows the crown work above the four bar PM chevrons.
Wow, that was quick. Thanks very much. It certainly looks like the same individual too. The pipe major/bandmaster of the QRIH? Too good to be true. Wonder if an individual from the forum got the other card of badges?

Ian H
Old 27-04-18, 02:20 PM

Well he isnt PM Johnstone who was QRIH then QRH.
With Ref to #2 was the example with the backwards "N" actually ever worn ?
A third use for the NCOs arm badge too. Hat,sporran and arm badge

Last edited by Mike H; 27-04-18 at 02:26 PM.
Old 27-04-18, 02:39 PM

Hi there , the Drummer is a guy called Chris Cornhill , Finised his time as an SSGT In the QRH
Cheers
Tony C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh67military View Post
Photo 5: The 2 variants of the Pipers Cap Badge. Both superbly made and gilded, with loops at East and West. Note the reversed 'N' on the first pattern
Photo 6, bottom right: A drummer corporal wearing chain mail eppaulettes and the badge usually refered to as a pouch badge on his caubeen with a feather hackle. An example of the badge is bottom centre of the card and has 3 screw posts at North, East and West. Proof this badge was worn on head dress.

A stunning collection of badges and photographic proof of their use by what must be a very rare individual piper from the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. A google search has revealed very few photos of this pipe band which originally only had 2 pipers! Then also a photograph of a drummer from the same unit. I've asked the vendor if she has any further details, but hope that somebody on the forum may be able to identify the piper.

Ian H
Old 27-04-18, 02:44 PM

I think the PM is Jimmy Walker.
Old 27-04-18, 04:19 PM

Thanks everybody. Once again I'm astounded by the depth of knowledge available on the forum.
I attach a picture of the other card that was auctioned at the same time. Unfortunately I came runner up on this one. Anybody know who won it?

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QRIH.jpg (2.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 27-04-18, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh67military View Post
Thanks everybody. Once again I'm astounded by the depth of knowledge available on the forum.
I attach a picture of the other card that was auctioned at the same time. Unfortunately I came runner up on this one. Anybody know who won it?

Ian H
Wow,dont see the kilt badges often . Are they all to the QRH ? The image is rather small but appears to be the QOH badge and the QRIH badge. Not the 4th and the 8th badge that the QRIH would have worn.
Old 27-04-18, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Wow,dont see the kilt badges often . Are they all to the QRH ? The image is rather small but appears to be the QOH badge and the QRIH badge. Not the 4th and the 8th badge that the QRIH would have worn.
The eBay item number was :173270642499
Have a look, but I think they're cap badges mounted on cardboard backed shamrocks. Some were OR's pattern, some officers (I think, judging by the loops). If I hadn't spent as much on the pipers items I'd have put a bigger bid in, but it's the end of the month, the kid needs new shoes, the beer fridge is almost empty (sound of violins in background) etc.

Ian H
Old 28-04-18, 08:35 AM

Ian

thank you for posting this very interesting lot. It is documented that the QRIH pipes and drums had a very tenuous existence for several years

http://www.qrh-crossbelts.com/index....p/7-reghistory

The isolated photos I have seen of it's existence over the years show much variety in the uniforms and insignia. The regiment appear to have made do with various items re-purposed for pipers

The collection you have brings all that together and documents is nicely. Arm badges and no.2 pouch badges pressed into use as headdress badges, full dress busby horsehair plume used in the Caubeen etc.

Thanks again, I learned a lot from this post.

John
Old 28-04-18, 09:43 AM

Default QRIH Pipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Ian

thank you for posting this very interesting lot. It is documented that the QRIH pipes and drums had a very tenuous existence for several years

The isolated photos I have seen of it's existence over the years show much variety in the uniforms and insignia. The regiment appear to have made do with various items re-purposed for pipers

The collection you have brings all that together and documents is nicely. Arm badges and no.2 pouch badges pressed into use as headdress badges, full dress busby horsehair plume used in the Caubeen etc.

Thanks again, I learned a lot from this post.

John
I've also seen photos of the pipers wearing the beret and glengarry. I think in the early days it was very much what they could get their hands on.
Danny

Last edited by irishhorse; 28-04-18 at 04:19 PM.
Old 28-04-18, 04:19 PM

Lightbulb QRIH Pipers.

The glengarry (note Irish Rangers pipers jackets) and beret in wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1524931691864978223366.jpg (62.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1524932175763724787488.jpg (50.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-04-18, 07:19 PM

Further to post #7 from irishhorse above, the lady who sold the badges had an email from another bidder (at my request) confirming:
"I contacted the gentlemen who had shown interest in the badges and photos about your email and one of them who was in the QRIH has been on their forum and the soldier in the majority of the photos is called Jimmy Walker".

So, both soldiers named, and I copied the display method of the other lot that I didn't win and have added the photos below (as well as most of the photos I took for this thread) to my "IanH Piper Badges" photographs. I know they're not QRIH kilt badges (although there's very little info on these peculiarities) but rather Royal Irish Rangers/Royal Irish Regiment.

Thanks to all who have participated to this thread.

Regards,

Ian H - whose Gran came from County Sligo to marry my Grandad in the First World War.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4197.jpg (68.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4195.jpg (69.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 29-04-18, 05:48 AM

Default Pipe Band

Hi all,

I would add to this but find it’s summed up on the link below , History of the QRIH pipe band

3748Hussar

Last edited by 3748 Hussar; 29-04-18 at 05:49 AM. Reason: .