British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-17, 10:16 PM

Cool What price . . !

I was watching this little lot with some interest when I suddenly noticed the price increase, whilst I know the South Staffordshire Regt was involved with the airborne operation at Arnhem and there is a small glider badge included, I do wonder sometimes whether badge collecting has gone beyond the pockets of the average person.

Small wonder that there are few young collectors coming into the hobby, soon it will be the perogative of lottery winners and premier league footballers.

Rob

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...p2047675.l2565
Old 29-03-17, 10:59 PM

No,
I haven't won the lottery or play premier league football, after researching a couple of the badges for price I do realise what I have to pay, fortunately I have seen others listed.
Yes as you posted I was the high bidder
Paul
Old 30-03-17, 05:52 AM

Paul
sadly there are still some collectors out there who still believe that one can pick up scarce badges for the same price as they sold for in the 1960s and 70s
PL
Old 30-03-17, 08:40 AM

And there is never a chance to get some items at a reasonable price when active listings are posted on here,you should expect the price to rise further when more attention is brought to it.
Paul
Old 30-03-17, 09:48 AM

The Glide patch if wartime fetches a good price on its own and any printed titles to units that served with the airborne forces always attract top dollar from what I have observed. Look at a the prices for pegasus patches which are very common but always expensive.

Jerry
Old 30-03-17, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
No,
I haven't won the lottery or play premier league football, after researching a couple of the badges for price I do realise what I have to pay, fortunately I have seen others listed.
Yes as you posted I was the high bidder
Paul
fear not Little Jim, supply and demand. it is the case that ' I have what you desire '. ergo, like minds pay whatever it takes to acquire the precious things and are content with that mindset. it is a fact that there is always another person whose wish is greater than thine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Goon_Show_(cast_photo).jpg (17.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg local shop.jpg (47.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 30-03-17, 11:24 AM

Yes a lot of money, especially with no provenance !
Andy
Old 30-03-17, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I was watching this little lot with some interest when I suddenly noticed the price increase, whilst I know the South Staffordshire Regt was involved with the airborne operation at Arnhem and there is a small glider badge included, I do wonder sometimes whether badge collecting has gone beyond the pockets of the average person.

Small wonder that there are few young collectors coming into the hobby, soon it will be the perogative of lottery winners and premier league footballers.

Rob

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...p2047675.l2565
Rob, let's face it, it's not so much a hobby these days, it's more a money-making racket fuelled by sheer greed and it will only get worse. As long as people are prepared to cough up the dosh there will be no shortage of grasping chancers ready to take it.
Old 30-03-17, 01:02 PM

To be Frank (not you Mr. Kelley) I fail to see why these badges were at the time of the OP deemed expensive, the bid stood at £103 for 5 original cloth badges, an average of just over £20 each, even now at this time they are just over £30 each. One of the badges you would, over the last few years be lucky to get under £100.
Where Chancing and Grasping come into this I have no idea
Paul
Old 30-03-17, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
fear not Little Jim, supply and demand. it is the case that ' I have what you desire '. ergo, like minds pay whatever it takes to acquire the precious things and are content with that mindset. it is a fact that there is always another person whose wish is greater than thine.
If your shop is open may I have a look!!
Paul
Old 30-03-17, 03:03 PM

Default What Price

I am the first to admit I have paid over the odds for a couple of badge I have purchase
The main reason being after spending so much time looking to complete a collection I have no qualms over what I paid.Having completed my task I am more than happy.
There is another side to the coin, I was lucky to purchase two Plastic AEC badge a couple of years ago,What I paid for them compisated me foe when i have over paid.
Here is the result of one collection
Regards to all
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (63.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 30-03-17, 03:11 PM

no shop, no stock. just an observation regarding living in 2017 as opposed to living in 2007. in 1977 my annual water rate bill was £5 .03 ! there again my wage was £20 a week. all relative. ( and yes, I was living in a shoebox ). ah! the good old days.
Old 30-03-17, 04:46 PM

Hey, Silverwash. You had a shoe box? We used to dream of living in a shoe box! (with a tip of the hat to Monty Python).

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 30-03-17, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray smith View Post
I am the first to admit I have paid over the odds for a couple of badge I have purchase
The main reason being after spending so much time looking to complete a collection I have no qualms over what I paid.Having completed my task I am more than happy.
There is another side to the coin, I was lucky to purchase two Plastic AEC badge a couple of years ago,What I paid for them compisated me foe when i have over paid.
Here is the result of one collection
Regards to all
Ray
I noticed one of those Machine Guards titles for sale recently at £350

Jerry
Old 30-03-17, 06:19 PM

Silly price's indeed. I'm going to try and sell 1 of my 3 J R Gaunt ( semi circle marked ) Welsh Guards badge's for about £150 now. See if i get any takers.
Andy