British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-15, 02:27 PM

Default 3rd militia Royal Scots 1892

I was wondering if anyone could help with the badge worn by the 3rd RS around 1892. I guess after the 1881 reforms the militia - Queens Edinburgh Rifle Volunteer Brigade - became the 3rd Btl. Bloomer has the QRVB badge as 1902-8 but does not state they are the 3rdRS. The service record I am looking at only states 3/Royal Scots and this was written in 1894.
The Volunteer Btls are well documented, but what about the 3rds badge?

Bryan
Old 03-02-15, 02:54 PM

You have some misunderstanding here.

In 1881 The Edinburgh (or Queen's) Light Infantry Militia became de 3rd Bn, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment).
In 1908 this became 3rd (Reserve) Bn, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment).

The 1st and 2nd Bn, 1st Edinburgh (City) Rifle Volunteer Corps (The Queen's City of Edinburgh Rifle Volunteer Brigade) became volunteer battalions of The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) without change of title in 1881.
These were re-designated as 1st and 2nd Bn, The Queen's Rifle Volunteer Brigade in 1888 and at the same time a 3rd Bn was raised.
These three battalions formed in 1908 two battalions: the 4th and 5th (Queen' Edinburgh Rifles) Bn, The Royal Scots (The Lothian Regiment) (TF).

The unit as you name it, never existed. Militia and Volunteer Rifle units are different beasts.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages

Last edited by Wmr-RHB; 03-02-15 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 03:16 PM

OK, I can see what you are saying, I was looking at the wrong unit. So I know my man was in the 3rd Royal Scots in 1892, do we know what cap badge they wore?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 03-02-15, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advsmt View Post
OK, I can see what you are saying, I was looking at the wrong unit. So I know my man was in the 3rd Royal Scots in 1892, do we know what cap badge they wore?

Thanks
Bryan
Others will know (no doubt) and they will flock to this thread in due time.
My idea is that in general ex-militia ballations wore the badge of th eregulars, but all white metal. But the Royal Scots sport a coloured background and if I understand this correctly, it was red for the 1st and green for the 2nd Bn. No idea though about the 3rd.

Again, I am no badge expert, thus better wait for others then believing me

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages