British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-08, 02:19 AM

Default Limirick Militia

So fellas, what are your opinions on this badge

Once again typing too fast. Limerick not Limirick

Michael
Old 04-07-08, 04:04 AM

Michael

this badge is being faked at the moment and is being sold by the usual dealers in faked badges from south Wales. Unfortunately I know very little about the Irish Militia Glengarry Badges, but I have watched the fakes apear in ever increasing numbers recently , the certain fakes of this badge also have loops east & west but are mounted slightly higher than this one.

If you are interested in buying this make sure it is from a reputable dealer, even thought the Limerick County badge is known in GM, it is more common in a silvered version (even for O/Rs), another reason to be cautious as I have only seen a GM version faked to date. The striking on this example seems very weak to me. I shall pass the image onto a few friends who are more knowledgable than I to try to help.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 04-07-08 at 04:05 AM. Reason: spelling corrections.
Old 04-07-08, 04:47 AM

Anyone know if the fakers in South Wales have a web site? I would like to know what they have.

Michael
Old 04-07-08, 10:54 AM
David Douglas

Default Limerick Militia

May I offer my opinion on this badge ? I do not believe it to be genuine due to one single factor - it is struck in brass. This badge (if original) would be white metal for other ranks and silvered for officers. My reason for believing this is that I have several 103rd City of Limerick and 123rd Royal County of Limerick Militia buttons - officers and other ranks - and they are in w/m and silver. I can't see badges being in anything other than w/m and silver. I will, of course, stand corrected by someone who knows better. Regards. David
Old 04-07-08, 04:05 PM

Limerick Militia:

There was a brass badge that looked very pretty
Never worn on a hat Oh what a pity
Should be made only of Silver or indeed metal of white
Looks like you bought another crock of shi*

Churned out by the ton from a studio in Wales
To be resold on Evilbay with some colourful tales
Took part in the fight at the GPO don't you know
And also at Bastogne where they died in the snow

Give me your money you gullible chap
Go home happy with your expensive piece of crap
If your after a refund I'll give you a fight
You'll never sell it along, you're stuck with the shi*e
Old 04-07-08, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Limerick Militia:

There was a brass badge that looked very pretty
Never worn on a hat Oh what a pity
Should be made only of Silver or indeed metal of white
Looks like you bought another crock of shi*

Churned out by the ton from a studio in Wales
To be resold on Evilbay with some colourful tales
Took part in the fight at the GPO don't you know
And also at Bastogne where they died in the snow

Give me your money you gullible chap
Go home happy with your expensive piece of crap
If your after a refund I'll give you a fight
You'll never sell it along, you're stuck with the shi*e

HAHAHAHA Excellent tyneside, you must have got a very good grade in English literature!

you are indeed a poet and I didn't know it. (sorry had to get that in)
Old 04-07-08, 07:40 PM
peter616

The Irish militia badges are being faked by a guy in London who is also faking shoulder belt plates

peter
Old 04-07-08, 08:08 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Tell me something guys, Why would a faker spend his money putting something out in a metal that the badge never existed in? There can be nobody that dumb. I don't know anything about badges especially British badges, whether they are fake or not,and I've seen too many Canadian badges of different strikings all legit to make a decision, but you will remember a while back when I asked you fellows how many Irish Regts existed, I said at the time that I thought all the counties had Infantry Regts well this is the era I had in mind, Can any one list them (not the artillery)but county & city Infantry. Ray

Yes very well done Luke.
Old 04-07-08, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Tell me something guys, Why would a faker spend his money putting something out in a metal that the badge never existed in? There can be nobody that dumb. I don't know anything about badges especially British badges, whether they are fake or not,and I've seen too many Canadian badges of different strikings all legit to make a decision, but you will remember a while back when I asked you fellows how many Irish Regts existed, I said at the time that I thought all the counties had Infantry Regts well this is the era I had in mind, Can any one list them (not the artillery)but county & city Infantry. Ray

Yes very well done Luke.
Because people despite not know what they're REALLY buying buy it any way.

Wrong metals aside there are even plenty of instances of complete fantasy badges being made up by restrikers so they must sell them to someone, usually to novice collectors I would have guessed.

In some instances I'm sure they produce badges in the wrong metal partially to trick collectors into thinking they have stumbled across something unusal and rare, as is the case with the reversed BM Warwickshire badges on ebay recently. It may also be because a great many inexperienced collectors again have no idea as to what metal a badge should be made in and operate (as I confess I did when I started out) - 'buy it now, find out what it is later'.

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 04-07-08 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 08:29 PM

Most fakers are after the quick buck, it would cost serious money to produce Museum standard copies in the correct materials. Far easier to age a few brass examples then switch to another badge. Hopefully catching a few unwary on the way. I think everyone on here has bought a fake or restrike at sometime, so it works doesn't it!

The naming of all the historic Regiments, Regular, Service, Territorial, Militia, etc by county is a massive undertaking. I doubt despite how many times you ask on here, that any one is going to seriously go to that much work for no reward, despite their best intentions.

Being realistic and hopefully without sounding too mean, start searching the web yourself, by county and get some books and MHS journals.
Old 04-07-08, 09:02 PM

If anyone has any good quality pre-1922 restrike badges to the Irish Regiments they want to get rid of let me know. I might be interested in buying them if the price is right. Especially the Militia badges. Im not as wrapped up in the whole "It has to be original" thing as some collectors. So long as it's a good quality copy.

Michael
Old 05-07-08, 12:56 PM

David Douglas is right in mentioning that for the most part The Limerick County Militia should be found in WM and Silvered, however K&K mentions that this badge is also found in GM (KK 1287).

I have only ever seen the WM/Silvered versions in sales, suggesting that the GM pattern is much less common.

John
Old 05-07-08, 04:15 PM
David Douglas

Default Limerick Militia

As a post script to a previous posting, I believe K and K to be wrong in their statement that this badge existed in g/m - they don't offer an illustration (to my recollection). Also - on the general subject of restriking in the wrong metal, I bought on eBay a 1st pattern Tyneside Scottish cap badge for 1.00 plus postage. Why did I buy it ? So I could display it with a large label - Beware Atrocities ! Whilst on line - is anyone watching the Connaughts and RDF OSD cap badges on eBay at present ? 45.00 each at this moment - but I don't think they will stop there ! They are also a lesson for the novice - good things don't come cheap ! Not a bad maxim. Regards to all - and watch out for those missing manhole covers ! David
Old 05-07-08, 04:20 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Most fakers are after the quick buck, it would cost serious money to produce Museum standard copies in the correct materials. Far easier to age a few brass examples then switch to another badge. Hopefully catching a few unwary on the way. I think everyone on here has bought a fake or restrike at sometime, so it works doesn't it!

The naming of all the historic Regiments, Regular, Service, Territorial, Militia, etc by county is a massive undertaking. I doubt despite how many times you ask on here, that any one is going to seriously go to that much work for no reward, despite their best intentions.

Being realistic and hopefully without sounding too mean, start searching the web yourself, by county and get some books and MHS journals.

Thanks Tyneside, I thought there may only be about 30-36 Units & commonly known, but I guess not so, Can you imagine the type of person that would go to that effort to make an illegal buck, Preying on those that don't know,Reminds me of scavengers,That must be rock bottom in the human catagoriy
Old 06-07-08, 02:54 AM

Ray

regarding your request for a list of (Irish) county regiments. I had been doing some research on the Irish Militia Regiments, see the attached document for some rough work, I think it is self explainatory. The County Regiments per se would have been the Regular Units. I hope this is of some interest.

I do not pretend that it is either definitive or error free, just a start. I have added it as a zip file as the word doc size exceeded the post limit. If it fails to upload IM me and I shall e-mail it to you.

David

I would not be at all suprised if K&K were wrong about the GM version.

John
Attached Files
File Type: zip Irish Militia Summary.zip (12.9 KB, 26 views)