British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-08, 06:32 PM

Default WW1 and WW2 sliders

I am aware that the prevailing wisdom says that ww1 era sliders should have a taper etc., but were all this way?
I have several pre 1922 badges that are without doubt good, but have the standard "ww2" style sliders sans taper.

CB
Old 25-06-08, 07:10 PM

Sorry, just answered me question. Thanks.
Old 25-06-08, 07:27 PM

CB,

Sliders show a large large degree of variation between manufacturers which are comtempoary with each other and as such a categoric statement like that cannot truthfully be made as you mention.

Having said that generally there are slight differences in the shape and length of sliders produced earlier on pre 22 badge patterns this assymilated with economy WW1 badges sliders tends to show a general consensus of the sliders being more slender and generally longer, sometimes with a slight taper than later ones (There are a few pictures of some good economy WW1 badges with woodward marked sliders somewhere on here).

In the later '30s and later sliders get chunkier (broarder and shorter) generally or have a harsher taper generally FN made badges (WW2ish), however there are exceptions to this as Dowler is considered to be a later manufacturer - WW2 or after yet their sliders are generally quite dainty and slender looking more akin to earlier badges.

IMO the above is just a rough guide and it's pretty impossible to authenticate or dam with absolute confidence a particular slider as being WW1 unless its on a genuine WW1 economy badge or is on a badge that has provenence. After a few years you get a feel for what is a right and a wrong slider for the era the badge in question comes from and it becomes easy to spot. Sliders are (if the original slider to that badge in question - as original sliders regularly get re-brazed to restrike badges) a good indicator very often to a badges authenticity.

Hope that helps,

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 26-06-08 at 09:35 AM. Reason: bad English
Old 25-06-08, 08:36 PM

Hello Luke. I have followed your various posts re sliders and while I understand it is not an exact science, I would be most interested if you should ever put a thread together such as the maker's marks one . Guess it would be a big undertaking but it would be of much interest I am sure to see examples grouped together for easy comparison. Best regards, Paul.
Old 25-06-08, 08:58 PM

Does anyone have any pics of the tapering sliders that are mentioned in Kipling and King as suspect and found on restrikes ?
I have seen alot of tapering sliders which look quite original and I can't figure out which ones they're going on about.
STM.
Old 25-06-08, 09:13 PM

Smile Tapering sliders

I think the tapering sliders mentioned in K&K are the coppery looking ones with the word "ENGLAND" stamped on them. I have not seen one for a long time which makes me wonder what has happened to them. Maybe the repro crowd have put new sliders on and re-launched them.
Old 25-06-08, 09:20 PM

That's interesting, I've never seen one stamped 'England' before,
thanks sonofacqms.
STM.
Old 25-06-08, 09:54 PM

Thanks Luke,
I have quite a few pre- 22 badges with sliders that do not exibit the "classical" ww1 style look, but are undoubtedly genuine.
I am now aware of that particular FN style slider. I have one on my RUR badge.

CB