British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-23, 01:51 PM

Default Tech Assistance Please

Afternoon All,

I have been trying, with little success, to locate an old post by Dave Cutforth.

If memory serves, I think on one occasion when Dave resigned from the forum and then returned, it was necessary, for some technical reason, for him to alter his username slightly - I may be wrong about that. I think he may have altered it from Davec2 or DaveC2 to its final incarnation of davec2.

If he did alter his username, would it mean that posts submitted by him prior to his original username being amended would no longer show up when searching under his final username, even if the changes were something as minor as altering a capital letter to a lowercase letter or vice-versa?

I do not seem to be able to search for his posts under any other variation of his final username.

The post I am searching for contains a picture of a Queen's badge which looked very similar to that pictured below - an all-G/M QRWS cap badge on loops, with no overlaid scroll.

With thanks,

JT

JT QRWS.jpg

EDIT: I should perhaps add that I am able to see all threads started by Dave, right from his very first, but I do not seem to be able to search for individual posts made prior to June 2013.

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 03-02-23 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 07:33 PM

The only username I can find posts for is davec2 *

A basic search "all posts" only shows the last 500 posts.

An advance search of "threads started by user" show 229 threads starting with 16-04-08.

Doing an "advanced search" > username:davec2> 'keyword' queen's > show result as posts brings up 66 posts with the first one dated 21-06-08.

It seems there is a 500 limit on 'keywords' searches , common words such as "badge" will only show the last 500 posts but "regiment" produced 180 posts dating back to 30-11-09.

* davec - only made 5 posts.
* Davecwebb - no posts at all.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 03-02-23, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
The only username I can find posts for is davec2 *

A basic search "all posts" only shows the last 500 posts.

An advance search of "threads started by user" show 229 threads starting with 16-04-08.

Doing an "advanced search" > username:davec2> 'keyword' queen's > show result as posts brings up 66 posts with the first one dated 21-06-08.

It seems there is a 500 limit on 'keywords' searches , common words such as "badge" will only show the last 500 posts but "regiment" produced 180 posts dating back to 30-11-09.

* davec - only made 5 posts.
* Davecwebb - no posts at all.

Mike,

Thanks very much for that. I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look and to reply.

I recall Ry (Charlie585) having to amend his username after a sabbatical; the change was barely noticeable, but there nonetheless.

Given that I have been unable to find the specific Dave Cutforth post I’m looking for, I thought perhaps a username change (if indeed it was changed) might have been the cause.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

JT
Old 03-02-23, 07:51 PM

JT,
I wonder if you saw the badge image you are seeking in one of Dave C’s Albums as I recall adding a comment to an album showing a lot of Queen’s badges.

No davec2 albums are now visible, is there a way to retrieve them?

Tim
Old 03-02-23, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
JT,
I wonder if you saw the badge image you are seeking in one of Dave C’s Albums as I recall adding a comment to an album showing a lot of Queen’s badges.

No davec2 albums are now visible, is there a way to retrieve them?

Tim
Tim,

That hadn’t occurred to me. Good thinking.

There definitely was a discussion around the badge, no question about it. I suppose it could feasibly have unfolded within the comments section of an album. I’m sure I recall Dave posting it for discussion though, as it was a bit of an anomaly.

Thanks for the suggestion. It might explain why it’s now nowhere to be seen.

Regards,

JT