British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-13, 08:57 PM
LYPAO Boff

Default Brodrick Cap (ERVII) - Cavalry

Hi All

The 17th Lancers wore the Brodrick Cap .... and not for long it appears, 1903-07?

Did all the regular Cavalry wear it as well? It would be particularly interesting to know if the 1st Royal Dragoons wore it.......

Does anyone have any images of the Cavalry wearing the Brodrick?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LanceGouard17L1904a.jpg (34.9 KB, 73 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 16-10-13, 10:09 PM

Griff,
PM sent.
Tim
Old 17-10-13, 08:17 AM

Griff

The much disliked Broderick Cap was issued in 1902, it replaced the much liked pillbox, and was withdrawn from inventory in 1907.
However, there were, I'm told, regiments still wearing it up to 1914 the RMLI I believe was the last?
To my knowledge its wear was universal during its limited time in service, and the line cavalry appear to have been no exception, so I see no reason why the 1RD would have escaped wearing it!. Though finding an image might prove difficult.
There is confirmation of wear on some of the regimental museum web site's, and there is a fair amount of images and info available on line in general.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Hi All

The 17th Lancers wore the Brodrick Cap .... and not for long it appears, 1903-07?

Did all the regular Cavalry wear it as well? It would be particularly interesting to know if the 1st Royal Dragoons wore it.......

Does anyone have any images of the Cavalry wearing the Brodrick?

Last edited by Robthereiver; 17-10-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 18-10-13, 12:54 AM

Griff

whereas I cannot comment on the 1st Dragoons specifically the intent that all regular cavalry regiments were to wear the Brodrick was there.

WO350 Vol 12 p 170 lists the first sealing for Patches for the Brodrick cap for cavalry & infantry. The colours are listed under one SPN but not the regiments matched to them. I did not make notes of regimental specifics when I last looked at this volume except to note that the patch for 6th Dragoons was changed from yellow to light buff on page 259 of the same volume.

Regarding photos.

Page 60 of The Regiment Magazine issue 47 has two photos of 21 Lancers with the Brodrick.

Military Modeling Feb 1986 had an article dealing with the Brodrick as worn by Hussar regiments. May 1985 covered the Dragoon Guards and Dragoons and in that article the patch worn by 1D appears as a red patch.

Regarding patches sealed in the "red family" Vol 12 p 170 shows patches sealed in Scarlet no 2, Crimson no 2, and scarlet braided blue . There may be more I was not making comprehensive notes or images on this subject.

John
Old 18-10-13, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Griff

Page 60 of The Regiment Magazine issue 47 has two photos of 21 Lancers with the Brodrick.

John
John,

Are the troopers wearing any visible insignia in these photos?

Thanks

Keith
Old 18-10-13, 08:12 AM
LYPAO Boff

John

Thanks to Tim I am now fully furnished with the articles by Don & Bryan Fosten.... interestingly they cover the Dragoon Guards, Dragoons, Hussars & some Infantry...... but they make no mention of the Lancers (or Household)?

So we know now that the 17thL and the 21stL wore the Brodrick...... so it must stand that the 5th, 9th, 12th & 16th did as well.... the hunt is on

It appears that some Regiments wore a larger cap badge in the Brodrick? "Maybe...." the 11th Hussars (large Gm.) and the 1st Royal Dragoons (Large Bim. x3 loops) did this as well?

* A khaki Brodrick cover is also talked about "by some Yeomanry & Volunteer Units".... {see :- Military Modelling, March 1984, page 192} I wonder if this "cover" came with a peak to it? The photo below of an LIYPAO Trooper (1903)..... with the large 1st pattern cap badge (on a scarlet backing) is now worth a bit more of a look (note:- there is no chin strap)? Is there a scarlet Brodrick under a khaki peaked cover? * The white cover was worn in the summer season.

Military Modelling Magazine, March 1984, page 192 “The Cut of Cloth”, they have a paragraph on “Covers” & “The Khaki Brodrick”.

They say:-

COVERS
“Photographs confirm that in some circumstances, such as manoeuvres and overseas duty, a khaki cover may be worn over the cap. Usually, the cover masked only the flat upper part and the patch and left portion of the flap visible but in some photographs the cover is pulled snugly down it covers the cap completely enough to convey the impression that the cap itself is a khaki head-dress.”

THE KHAKI BRODRICK
“Suggestions have been made that a khaki cloth version of the Brodrick cap was taken into use by some Yeomanry and Volunteer units. The writers have been unable to confirm this and would welcome any additional information on the subject.”

Below is a mounted Infantryman in South Africa (1900-03)..... also a Royal Marines LI Brodrick (1900-21) and a larger image of the LIYPAO Trooper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOERWARMTDINF.jpg (67.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg BOERWARMTDINFxx.jpg (70.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RM1900-21.jpg (28.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg LIYOLDEST2aBrodrickColour2.jpg (52.6 KB, 6 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 19-10-13 at 09:45 PM.
Old 18-10-13, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
John,

Are the troopers wearing any visible insignia in these photos?

Thanks

Keith
Yes Keith they are - I have send the images on, you may be able to get something useful from them.

John
Old 18-10-13, 10:42 AM

According to another website the "Forage Cap, New Pattern" or "Forage Cap, Universal" is the correct nomenclature for the Broderick Cap. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...howtopic=21623
Old 18-10-13, 11:42 AM
LYPAO Boff

John

From the description and the photo then this is what it should be (see below). I have put on the QVC 21L Cap badge.... because it was the easiest to manipulate..... but the cap was in use from 1900 so its probable. The badge looks to be the normal size of cap badge in this case.

Cap: Army Blue, French Grey patch with yellow braid line (gold "Russia" braid post 1903).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brodrick21stLancers.jpg (23.1 KB, 22 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro