British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-08, 11:05 AM

Default repairing silver badges

Can anyone recommend a ?jeweller / silversmith who might be able to repair solid silver badges.
I've been in touch with about three badge repairers (who have otherwise done fantastic jobs) who are reluctant to touch silver.

My particular concern is a HM silver Lpl Pals badge which has had its loops shorn off and a crude brooch fitting (not silver) ?soldered on instead. I'd like the brooch fitting removed and, if possible, new silver loops fitted.

Grateful for any recommendatrions / ideas
feel free to PM me with names if you don't want to mention them on forum
thanks
Julian
Old 02-08-08, 11:09 AM

You could try: http://www.gamedals.co.uk/index.htm

Peter does an amazing job on medals, no idea if he would take on badges. He will certainly have removed brooch fittings!

Eddie
Old 02-08-08, 01:16 PM
Badge Guru

Hi Julian,

To be honest I wouldnt touch it. Most collectors like them like that. It tells a story that the badge was sent home and worn by a sweetheart. See my avatar? Lonsdale Rifles that badge is brooched if I anyone started fiddling with it might make it un-saleable.

If its bothering you that much sell it and use the funds to buy another. Theres a really cheap one on Bosleys online catalogue right now. I`m surprised it hasnt sold.

I know you to be something of an expert on the Liverpool badges so you should know the loops that are on the Pals badge are not normal, they have chased lines on either side, something thats very hard to reproduce. To fit standard silver crafted loops may even as I have said above create an air of suspicion about your badge.

Please dont be offended by what Ive said, Ive just seen loads of these badges with fixing like that over on the Great War Forum and all the lads over there are chuffed to bits with them the way they are.
Old 02-08-08, 02:34 PM
David Douglas

Default Repairing etc

If you want a working jeweller, I have used a chap called Melville Kemp on Derby Road, Nottingham in the past. He has been in business for many years and understands jewellery repairs - also first class workmanship. Good luck. David