British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-08, 02:28 PM

Default QVC vs QC

Hi Everyone. I need a bit of help here. I have a badge listed for sale, and a ebayer has mentioned that the crown is a Queens Crown, and I have it listed as a Victorian Crown... It sure looks Victorian to me, but maybe the Fusiliers wore this style of crown only?

Any suggestions, impressions etc?

Jaime
Old 31-07-08, 02:34 PM
David Douglas

Default QVC vs QC

Your illustrated badge is (in my opinion) a copy Victorian (pre 1902) version of the other ranks' pattern glengarry badge. As to abbreviations, QVC is always self-explanatory but QC is often used to confuse. I prefer 'EIIR crown' then there can be no confusion. There is also the possibility that this particular eBayer doesn't know his a... from his elbow ! Regards. David
Old 31-07-08, 02:36 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

I have QVC and QC badges sitting in front of me and the QC version loops are higher and rounder than the QVC one - which is angular - not as angular as (say) the 5thDG one.
IMO I would say that yours is a QVC and not a QC.
Apart from anything else there arn't that many FurCaps with a QVC crown on anyway. The Royal Fusiliers QVC one is very similar to yours.
David
Old 31-07-08, 02:42 PM

Hi David, thanks so much for letting me know your opinions. I was also thinking a copy badge as it was just too 'new' looking to be over 100 years old. All the British badges we sell come with a money back offer if not a good badge, as I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for certain, give me a Cdn badge and I'm pretty good, but the brit badges are tricky!

The Ebayer has about 2000 feedbacks, and sells only repro badges, so I thought I'd come to the forum to get some other opinions.

I'll mention in the listing it's a repro.

Cheers,
Jaime
Old 31-07-08, 02:44 PM
David Douglas

Default QVC vs QC

I do not see this as a fur cap grenade. They were much more semi-spherical with a greater 3 dimensional construction to the flames. The flat versions (of all Fusilier regiments) were intended for service dress which, in the case of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, was a glengarry cap. Regards. David
Old 31-07-08, 03:11 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Douglas View Post
I do not see this as a fur cap grenade. They were much more semi-spherical with a greater 3 dimensional construction to the flames. The flat versions (of all Fusilier regiments) were intended for service dress which, in the case of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, was a glengarry cap. Regards. David
David, You are absolutely correct. The picture was of a Glengarry, I had FurCaps in front of me at the time. Must be getting tired. I need a holiday.
My apologies, david
Old 31-07-08, 05:20 PM

Jamie,

The short winded answer is Queen Victoria Crown

Cheers, Michael
Old 31-07-08, 08:53 PM
David Douglas

Default QVC vs QC

ard-ri - The short winded answer to what ? Regards. David
Old 31-07-08, 10:17 PM

David,

QVC or QC.

Regards, Michael
Old 02-08-08, 11:10 AM

I don't know about the QVC but the official (WO) designation for the
'King's Crown' was 'Tudor Crown' and for the 'Queen's Crown' it is the 'King Edward's Crown'.

ps. whatever the QVC was called officially, it was certainly in use - for insignia etc - under Victoria's predecessors

Last edited by KLR; 02-08-08 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-08-08, 02:26 PM
David Douglas

Default QVC vs QC

I can agree with the previous post insofar as William IV is concerned but not before that ! A Regency crown (George IV) and crowns surmounting George III items are distinctly different in shape to the 'QVC'. Handling any 'Waterloo' or 'Stovepipe' shako plate will show the very marked difference in the crowns to the 'Belltop' or 'Albert' patterns, or any of their successors. Georgian buttons (pre 1830) also indicate a different shaped crown to those post 1830. To anyone with, for example, a comprehensive regimental collection, looking chronologically back through your crowned artifacts should prove my point. Regards. David