British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-09, 05:34 PM

Default Album Questions

Any one else think it might be interesting to have a thread linked to the "All Albums" part of the Forum,not to criticise pictures in there but in fact exactly the opposite, and to ask for further information on items which appear there and which raise questions ?

P.B.

All Albums

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Mike; 22-02-09 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add link
Old 20-02-09, 10:03 PM

PB,
Whilst I agree with your proposal I feel we will need a degree of self discipline.
My reasoning is that I have noticed some obvious copies/fakes in some members' albums and advising them of this fact will undoubtedly ellicit an angry response.
I'm lucky that I only collect to Welsh units and therefore, have potentially fewer errors to make. However, I have already noticed in my cursory scans of other albums that Welsh Horse badges are included that are clearly fakes.
They are not re-strikes or copies as they are not the correct pattern.
I would personally welcome constructive advice as to the originality of those badges in my albums, on some of which I have doubts.
Please excuse any mistakes in my spelling as I'm watching a programme on Llewelyn ein Llyw Olaf whilst typing in English.
Cofion,
41ed

Last edited by 41st; 20-02-09 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Gwraig
Old 21-02-09, 06:50 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Agree with 41st. I was let off doing Welsh when I was at school in Brecon
'cos I was English and an army brat. Thank heavens, which was odd because
French or German were NOT available.... So no comments in Welsh from me.
I can only remember the numbers and well done. I digress as usual.

Its always worthwhile getting some feedback - even if
sometimes, I don't always agree with it. Its 'healthier' than not being able
say anything - I have worked over in Germany - North and down in deepest
Bavaria for some years now and you have no idea about what is
verboten here or how a simple, innocent remark can be construed as "really
unfriendly" -. and cause all sorts of problems...

e.g. and this is verbatim -

"would you please let me know at the time it happens that you will not
be able to pay this invoice on the agreed date"

Phone calls and all sorts of things were bandied around as this was considered very "unfriendly". Watch out UK, its coming your way.......

The PC brigade got here donkeys years ago. For goodness sake, you are
not even supposed to honk your horn or flash your lights......
You can't even accuse anyone of doing something stupid - its dem brot -
a piece of bread....
The idea sounds reasonable to me.

You all have a nice day and keep "truckin".
Old 21-02-09, 08:19 AM

As an example,the sort of thing I had in mind was in connection Wairua`s most interesting album on the 51st Division.

This is in respect of the Argyles balmoral. It appears to me that most of the Highland Regiments adopted the balmoral in place of the Glengarry for a relatively short period around the 1960`s and at roughly the same time adopted the white leather sporran ( as attached ).
Does anyone have any further information as to dates and why the changes occured ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9619.jpg (45.3 KB, 98 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-02-09, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Spending the last hour looking through enfant perdus's post card album raised my own question "why didn't I start collecting these when they were pence each, rather than £3, £5, £10 , or "think of a number" if two bidders want it on eBay."

too late now
You'll note the paucity of Irish Regiments in my collection, not to mention Pals battalions, for just that reason. Collectors who specialize in certain Regiments quite often get the better of me, particularly if it's a scarcer unit. My forthcoming album of Cavalry and Yeomanry PPCs will demonstrate this in spades!
Old 22-02-09, 08:23 AM

Seeing the RUC rank pips and crowns in Ulstermans RUC album reminded me of something that happened in the 1970`s.

I was in correspondence with a Canandian collector who had 2 cap badges of the 5th V.B. KLR ( Liverpool Irish ) a QVC and a KC example, which he was prepared to exchange for something for his own collection.

When I asked him what he would take in exchange he said he had an interest in the RUC and wanted sufficent pips and crowns to mount a display showing all the various ranks. I did not for one moment expect the RUC to be prepared to sell such items and thought that the Canadian collector might have tried them ( The RUC ) directly in the first place ,but as I was very keen to get hold of the Liverpool Irish badges I wrote off to the RUC and explained what I wanted and why.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I recieved a reply saying they would sell me as many pips and crowns as I needed for 10p each.So for about £2 I ended up with the 2 badges.

I still cannot believe my luck but the badges are there in my albums to prove it happened.

P.B.

Old 29-03-11, 06:46 PM

Hi! sorry to trouble you (new member) as you collect purely welsh badges I have aquired 3rd battalion the Monmouthshire regiment? 1st & 2nd I have, but this badge has a lovely patina front and rear, looks pukka! however but can,t find in any of the books I have! I also wonder was there ever a 2nd battallion badge with a scroll? cheers billy
Old 02-05-17, 04:13 PM

Some very interesting items being shown in recent albums but in a number of cases there is no explanation of what is being shown.

Even a brief description would make the albums more interesting and add to the collective knowledge of the Forum.
Thanks

P.B.

Old 06-05-18, 12:31 AM

Default Irish Guards

Feel free to ask me anything about my Irish Guards collection! I’m a one-Regiment collector.
Kind regards,
Sean