British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-20, 01:50 AM

Default Surrey Home Guard Question

Gentlemen,

I was looking at some of my Home Guard cases and am wondering if I have the correct with my 51st Surrey. Right now I have the Lion of southeast command formation patch. But am wondering if that one is right or should I have the Sussex and Surrey District wolf head patch? Or is either correct?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 22-05-20, 10:14 AM

Terry,

Malden, although in Surrey was part of the Metropolitan Police District and as such came under the Army's London District. Although there was a London District sign the only unit so far recorded as wearing it was the Home Guard's American Squadron.

District signs such as the Surrey & Sussex wolf's head were not introduced until the summer of 1944 and as a result were not widely worn by HG units. The only ones I have noted so far as worn are the Surrey, East Kent and Midland West District and the Northumbrian District sign which was adopted by the HG there in 1942 and only later became the District sign.

Although some HG Motor Transport Columns wore Command signs, they were not worn by individual HG Bns.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 22-05-20, 03:51 PM

Thank you very much Jon, and yes that is a BIG help. Since I have put it with my Surrey SY 51 set, it sounds like it might be correct? I added both the Surrey cap badge and the wolf head, your number 125 in your Home Guard book, the reprint. But if it was not correct then I want to remove it. This is an old picture and I have since obtained and added a proper East Surrey cap badge.

Terry
Old 22-05-20, 05:41 PM

The Tiger is not correct for SY 51 as it was not part of South East Command.

Jon
Old 22-05-20, 09:45 PM

OK, Thanks Jon.

What would be correct, and is the East Surrey cap badge OK with it?

Terry