British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-11, 11:37 PM

Default Seaforth cap badge - opinions please

I just picked up this Seaforth Highlanders (of Canada?) cap badge and would like some opinions on it. I was told it was a WW2 badge from the vendor I picked it up from (who deals in badges and militaria). Upon bringing it home and comparing it to another Seaforth badge I have, I noticed a few differences. First of all, the badge is not as flat as the others I have seen. It has a slightly 3D appearance as the antlers and scroll are bent upward or backwards in places. Perhaps this was done by hand to enhance the appearance of a regular "flat" badge? Secondly, it is noticeably lighter than my other example and feels a bit tinnier. It is a very nice badge, with good detail. It originally had 3 lugs on the back, but the bottom one is broken off.

I don't know much about Seaforth badges and realize there are quite a variety out there. The badge is a perfect fit for the lug holes on a Tam O Shanter I have, and I would love to display it with the cap if it is in fact legit. Do you think this is a legit WW2 era badge? Or something else? Opinions please...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (86.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (60.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 13-01-11, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Craig, Several things to consider. First, the Pictou Highlanders wore this same pattern of badge. It may a Pictou badge originally. The Seaforths perferred this pattern, as it was the same as the imperial Seaforths. They adopted it in preference to the "L" pattern. Secondly, the badge may be an imperial badge. (British). It is proper for the SWW. Third, you are correct in your thoughts that the badge may have been "customized". Many soldiers created more dimension to their badges, but honestly, this one doesn't look like it has been modified.
Does it look like there was a lug at the base of the scroll?
Old 14-01-11, 12:02 AM

I think the more modern Canadian Seaforth badges are a bit heavy.
I think yours looks good, but is possibly British. You sometimes see them with the antlers bent to give them more depth.
My feeling is that the three lugged badges are definitely British, but both British and Canadian come with two lugs.
The caveat is that the Imperial regiment gave badges to the Seaforths of Canada.

Oops - I was writing as Bill was posting.

Phil
Old 14-01-11, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have the Regimental History by R.H. Roy where he mentions that the Canadian Seaforths were given a large batch of Imperial badges early in the war. It really doesn't matter to me whether the badge is definitively Canadian or British, as many Canadian Seaforths did wear British Seaforth badges during WW2. I was more concerned with whether or not this badge is WW2 era or a more modern badge. Both you and Bill seem to think that it is correct for a WW2 era badge. This is what I was hoping to hear!
Old 14-01-11, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Craig, Several things to consider. First, the Pictou Highlanders wore this same pattern of badge. It may a Pictou badge originally. The Seaforths perferred this pattern, as it was the same as the imperial Seaforths. They adopted it in preference to the "L" pattern. Secondly, the badge may be an imperial badge. (British). It is proper for the SWW. Third, you are correct in your thoughts that the badge may have been "customized". Many soldiers created more dimension to their badges, but honestly, this one doesn't look like it has been modified.
Does it look like there was a lug at the base of the scroll?
Yes, there was a lug at the base of the scroll, but it has broken off.
Old 14-01-11, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Almost definitely an imperial pattern with the three lugs.