British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-19, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi, was given this badge for Xmas, but have no idea what it is. Arm badge, blazer or fantasy, any ideas? Thanks in advance and best wishes for Xmas, Mike
Hello Mike

Merry Christmas to you.

What a nice gift, I think you'll find this is a Blazer Badge produced for the Old Comrades Assoc. of the 11th Prince Albert's Own Hussars (PAOH).
I think I might have a photo of one in wear I'll see if I can locate it. I knew members of the regiment and one of them kindly gave my wife a jacket with a badge embroidered (Cotton Thread) on it of a similar design please see attached image.

The crown, above the PAOH monogram, is known by several names Guelphic, Albert's or Eight Arched, and it was used by quite a number of Regiments during Georgian & Victorian times, but later as well. Due to Prince Albert's Connection to the 11H, it became 'Alberts' Crown.

I hope that's of help.

Cheers
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11H OCA Jkt. emb. Badge 003.jpg (51.5 KB, 13 views)

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 29-12-19, 07:54 PM

Hi Rob, Thank you, I think you are right, it certainly has the look of a blazer badge. The badge you show is very similar, so unless proved otherwise I will go with that explanation. It would explain the quality as it seemed to good a quality for some fantasy badge, thanks again and all the best for the New Year, Mike
Old 30-12-19, 08:34 PM

Hi Frank, here is the back, as I said it looks modern, best wishes Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05504.jpg (42.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-01-20, 08:25 AM

Hello Mike , yes I see what you mean, very clearly no significant age to it whatsoever, but, still a most handsome badge, certainly not foreign or fashion in anyway, the crown is merely that particular manufacturers interpretation, rather late in the day, perhaps, although, very pleasing in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Frank, here is the back, as I said it looks modern, best wishes Mike