British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-19, 05:54 AM

Default How does this rising sun badge check out?

How does this rising sun badge check out? Good or bad ?

Cheers Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (103.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (116.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-10-19, 09:32 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Rob

Its got good tone and looks to be Ok but I will look out my slidered Rising Suns later and see how they compare.

Whilst they are un named the voids at the ends of the suns rays act as a signature.

More later mate.

Regards Phil.
Old 02-10-19, 02:22 PM

Hi Mate,

just looking through Cossum's book, it looks very close to the Tiptaft made example, numbered RS128.

Cheers, Tim
Old 02-10-19, 08:15 PM

Thanks to both of you for replying and await your answer Phil.
Old 03-10-19, 06:01 AM

Looks OK to me
Old 05-10-19, 01:01 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Hi Rob

Sorry for being slow to reply, but yes the one that you showed in the first post looks to be a good one but having said that Ive not known a Rising Sun to be repro'd.

I have 2 Tiptaft RS's one is part of a family collection from a WW1 digger and is marked on the back of the badge and on the slider and the other is marked on the slider only. Both look like yours and have almost rectangular voids at the ends of the suns rays and both have toning like yours although neither has the crown voided and are slightly raised all over.

Another is blackened brass and is almost flat over all, the voids at the ends of the suns rays are irregular and each is a different shape and the crown is voided.

Another is yellow brass and maybe what you are calling vaulted in your wanted to buy add, I'd call it convex or curved, the voids at the end of the suns rays are not quite rectangles and the crown is voided. Its a really good looking badge.

Another is browned and has irregular voids at the ends of the suns rays and the crown is voided, the badge is quite flat.

Another is quite a dark brown and mostly flat all over, and has almost rectangular voids at the ends of the suns rays and looks like yours, the crown is not voided.

Another is more a polished copper colour and is just rounded a little, it has a lovely polish to it, the voids are almost rectangles and the crown is not voided.

And the last one has the same nice colour as the one above and is just rounded a little, whilst the crown is voided the voids at the ends of the suns rays have been punched but are not punched out, the metal is still complete. Its a good striking and I don't know why the void is not punched out.

All of the above Rising Suns have sliders, not lugs and I believe would all be of English manufacture.

How's that, it just proves that there are many varieties and I probably don't have them all. Also it LOOKS as if Tiptaft MAY have manufactured Rising Suns and not makers marked them

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 05-10-19 at 01:25 AM.