British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-21, 11:51 AM

Default Army Air Corps Plastic Economy

Well have managed to acquire the 1st badge to the A.A.C. and posting all three to show progression - I think?

Brown (prototype badge turned down because of colour), Gold (used but Silvered preferred) and then the Silver badge.

Anything to add would be appreciated as information I have is only what I have gleamed, so additional information on these badges and other Prototype badges or other variations to those Plastic Economy we consider the Norm welcome, I saw 4 prototype badges R.A.S.C. this and 2 others sold last year, also a Gold and a White RAF badges so still lots of surprising badges turn up?

Many thanks Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210804_115751-1.jpg (74.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 20210804_115811-1.jpg (63.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-08-21, 12:21 PM

Hello Billy
There are many people on this forum who will remember Len Whittaker, who wrote the book 'Some Talk of Private Armies'. During one of my chats with Len, he informed me of his regret to have lost or let go the Chocolate Brown AAC Bakelite badge he had in WW2. It sounded very much as though he had been issued with it. If so, it may indicate it was not just a prototype, and that a few were actually issued.
Hoping this helps
Mike
Old 04-08-21, 01:50 PM

Billy,

Great group and I for one had no idea there were 3 different ones!

Well done

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-08-21, 01:56 PM

Not my line but have to admit that's a lovely trio.

Good on you Bill!

Vincent
Old 04-08-21, 03:27 PM

Well done. Not my area but you must be delighted.

Chris
Old 04-08-21, 03:30 PM

Yep, agree with Vincent and Chris, a really nice set of badges. I'd say very well done.

Terry
Old 04-08-21, 04:59 PM

I have comming two R.A.S.C. badges one I think being a prototype, another similar maker marked to ( "F & G" ) though have seen an Officer metal Collar? (Sweetheart) which is the Economy R.A.S.C. I saw last year totally different again??? The two R.A.F. badges I would like to add to my collection!

Many thanks for the comments, billy
Old 26-08-21, 11:09 AM

Some nice badges there Billy. There also exists light copper and brown variations. I was always led to believe that the more unusual colour AAC badges were simply oddities, made to avoid waste.

Where did you find the information regarding the colours used?

Tug

Last edited by tug37; 26-08-21 at 11:11 AM. Reason: error
Old 26-08-21, 05:18 PM

Hi Tug the prototype badge had the description within listing, the Gold and the Silver are common enough within Economy badges, the Gold was originally the badge to be used after the Brown which was rejected, the Gold wasn't liked either and the Silver was preferred by the Unit!

All the best billy
Old 26-08-21, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the reply Billy, so all the information was in the description of an ebay listing?. As far as I know, the Ministry of Supply records for plastic badges held at Kew only show manufacturers and numbers produced for each unit.

Whether the dark brown (black?) variation is a prototype or not, it's still a very rare piece. Bosleys sold one years ago and it went for over £400. The silver plastic AAC is very hard to find which makes me think even if if they were prefered, not many were issued with them. Again, super badges and well done for picking them up.

Tug
Old 27-08-21, 01:38 AM

Hi Tug, these Brown badges crop up when least expected, Dead Spartan has a Plastic Economy board "Price on request" which when you examine closely you can see within, the Royal Leicester Rgt. 3 badges (have two) Brown (unknown) Gold and Silver, the Cambridgeshire Rgt another Brown I have had in my hand at Stratford once exists and have never seen another since? So, how many more could there be?

Also White version of the Air Ministry Police badge, may have been made this colour to have been painted (or an acceptable trend?) Have the White badge and another with Silver paint applied.

All the best billy