British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-14, 09:45 AM

Smile Framed Lincolnshire Regiment Selection

Hi all,

To address my shoebox badge collection I have chosen to buy some old timber picture frames. Firstly, I sand them back, apply a base acrylic coat and then build up gold acrylic coats, finish with a clear gloss acrylic. Then make a box frame for the rear to give the badges on a felt covered card some depth, some 90 degree brackets, swivel clips and here you go a selection framed. I like to be able to replace the badges I am not happy with and so like to not permanently frame them. The badges will need a clean and final positioning and I have found two sided velcro great for mounting in the belt buckle half that has no lugs etc.

Not a work of art, not pretty carpentery but out of a shoebox and ready to hang.

Just a few more to do…cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5376.jpg (58.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5379.jpg (57.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5380.jpg (33.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-03-14, 10:03 AM

Very nice Dean!
I'm thinking of doing something similar with some badges and medals that I have. I'm currently trawling through boot sales and charity shops to try and find 'period' frames that I can utilise in much the same way. Many thanks for the tips!

Best wishes
Kev
Old 07-03-14, 10:24 AM

Good morning Dean
I love the selection of badges you have framed , and i also like the style of frame you have selected which is very much in keeping and it would hang perfectly on a gentlemans study , for me firstly i need alot more experiance and badges and hopefully one day i can do something similar,
Regards Chay
Old 07-03-14, 10:27 AM

Thanks chaps,

Some not so easy to get Lincolns items in there as per my Lincolns album, bullion the rarest but still after a genuine 1st VB.

Frames do make them presentable I must do more !

Cheers Dean
Old 07-03-14, 10:38 AM

It looks really good Dean and I must do something similar when I think I have enough badges from my chosen areas to make a presentable display.

Jerry
Old 07-03-14, 11:50 AM

Thanks Jerry,

If the frame has some varnish chipped etc you can pick them up reasonably priced and they paint over well. The gold acrylic is from an artists shop and is used to give a gilded finish look. Not a regular gold paint look. The more decorative the frame the better.

Cheers Dean

Tags
lincolnshire