British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-10, 02:32 PM

I think everyone is entitled to make a mistake, however the subject of brass economies to previous all nickel badges has been discussed on here so often all it takes is a bit of effort to go through the old threads.

Even dealers hike the price up for these items and I haven't seen them suddenly reduced in price or relisted as unofficial which we now know these badges are thanks to Julian's efforts trawling through the ACD records. This is all pretty new information so I suppose it'll take a few years before it all filters through.
Old 26-03-10, 02:42 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I think Andy is a master at discretion, I suppose it comes with being an Officer and a gentleman ?? I was only a busted Lance- Jack, I'm not exactly sure what the word means ??

I have written several posts defending ebay sellers and I've also agreed with some of the remarks made by members when we are warned about a ' rogue ' seller, we even have a site for sellers to avoid.

I'm not sure if I'm being a little naive here but shouldn't forum members who also sell on ebay, be beyond reproach, to a degree anyway, I have to ask, is Andy using the right word when he says ' mis-described ' ? shouldn't it really be ' conned ' ??

My opinion of course and I hope I'm not going OTT but what's good for the goose is good for the gander, I hope I haven't bought anything through the forum from this seller !!

Dave.
Old 26-03-10, 02:42 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Is there a "Naughty Step" for members misdescribing items?

Here's two styles (BY DAND & BYDAND) of copy (?) all GM Gordons, the By Dand being a far better strike with the Stag no looking like he's had an antler up his Ar**...

Andy
Andy,
I think that that description more than justifies its place in a 'badge' book.

Additionally, maybe its about the right time for a fake/restrike book to be published by an enterprising organisation...

In "management terminology" I can see a 'business opportunity' looming.....
There seems to be a lot of justification to produce one. The dodgy sellers might even all club together and buy the lot - in the same way that the petrol companies are 'supposed' to have bought up the rights to the water driven engine.

david
Old 26-03-10, 02:43 PM
Former Member

I've sent the seller a polite message!

Andy
Old 26-03-10, 02:47 PM
Former Member

I am 99.999% certain that my album contains examples of all the authorised 1916 all GM badges (thanks again to all those who helped with the info) I've a few further examples to add of variations on those already shown. If there is an all GM badge knocking about that is not represented in my album, then it's probably not kosher!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=400

Andy
Old 26-03-10, 09:12 PM

Yes the vendor is a member of this forum me and has taken advice on these badges .I resent the implication that i have put poor quality pictures on my listings to fool buyers i didn't realise the forum has so many experts.The Gordon Highlanders ww1 economy brass cap badge is for sale on a very good badge militaria website .Are you telling me that both these badges are wrong if so come out with it and please stop all the crap under hand remarks .I have never knowling sold a wrong badge and will refund all money if found to have done so .
Old 26-03-10, 09:17 PM

Dave
You have no need to worry you have been conned by me as you put it.
Thanks
Old 26-03-10, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I am sorry but both these badges are wrong. These badges appear on dealers lists and websites as 1916 economy but imo they are not. The dealers are mistaken or are putting profit before ethics. There is irrefutable evidence that these badges were not authorised for production in all brass in 1916 when many bi-metal abdges were. There is no evidence as yet to contradict this. Both badges have been faked in brass but the BW one was made for Canadians. The BY DAND error should be a warning sign that this is not right. There was a white metal version made in error but it was a maker's mistake.
Old 26-03-10, 09:46 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottuh13 View Post
Yes the vendor is a member of this forum me and has taken advice on these badges .I resent the implication that i have put poor quality pictures on my listings to fool buyers i didn't realise the forum has so many experts.The Gordon Highlanders ww1 economy brass cap badge is for sale on a very good badge militaria website .Are you telling me that both these badges are wrong if so come out with it and please stop all the crap under hand remarks .I have never knowling sold a wrong badge and will refund all money if found to have done so .
Well slap me with a wet lettuce!!!

I did not put 2 and 2 together and come up with the seller!! I have bought a completely genuine badge off you this week and was more than happy with its authenticity!! But Mark, the dealer you pointed me to in your ebay reply is IMO more interested in financial gain than providing genuine items! I hope that you do the right thing and do not take almost seventy quid off someone for a Fake badge!

Andy
Old 26-03-10, 09:56 PM

guys,

dont think im defending nottuh13 because hes from my part of the country im not,but we have all made mistakes when we have started out.
if he has learned and is willing to offer repayment then that should be it but if he continues thats a diff matter
after all im still learning and have learnt more from here than any where else

philip
Old 26-03-10, 10:13 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
guys,

dont think im defending nottuh13 because hes from my part of the country im not,but we have all made mistakes when we have started out.
if he has learned and is willing to offer repayment then that should be it but if he continues thats a diff matter
after all im still learning and have learnt more from here than any where else

philip
Philip,
I second that, Mark has been above board with me! But for everybody's reference in future, it's not hard to know whether or not you have a genuine Scottish WW1 all GM/Economy badge... If it looks like a Royal Scots then it could be genuine any other Scottish badge, normally struck all in whitemetal that appears for sale as a WW1 economy is not a genuine economy badge!

Andy
Old 26-03-10, 10:30 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottuh13 View Post
Dave
You have no need to worry you have been conned by me as you put it.
Thanks
Please don't pull me up because I used the word con, when I first started collecting badges, I spent the best part of three grand of my redundancy payout, over about twelve months, building a collection of ' mis-described ' badges, as a retirement investment.

I eventually found out that the whole lot were practically worthless, if you are happy to continue selling badges, that are known to be spurious, as genuine, that is entirely up to you but if one member of this forum thinks I'm wrong to say what I did, then the forum isn't what I thought it was.
Old 27-03-10, 05:43 AM

I am not happy to sell badges that are fake and yes i will pull you up over the word fake because you are casting aspersions on my character .For your infomation and everyone else who seems keen on this debate the buyer of the Gordons badge has been contacted and told that the badge has been with drawn from sale due to my mistake and an apology offered .If any one has a problem with any badge that they have bought from me via this or any other forum please contact me at hutton_mark@hotmail.com and i will refund all their money if required.Again i will say that any badge sold by me will 100% genuine .
As i have said in the past every one has to learn, some people on this forum are very quick to pass judgement on other members of this forum and maybe they should reflect on that.
That me finished .
Mark
Old 27-03-10, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gordon-Highlan...item439e2de929

Hope it is not a Forum member who's bid on this fantasy item?

Andy

The dreaded BY DAND two word version.

I wonder if it has a die flaw in the eye like the one A/A item attached...

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anodised BY DAND Gordons Head.jpg (97.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 27-03-10, 09:19 AM
Former Member

As I started this thread, I'd like to wrap it up by saying that I only started it in the hope that the bidder was not a Forum member... I did not have a clue who the seller was! IMO the seller has learnt by his mistake and I also hope that other members steer clear of GM Scottish badges that should be all Whitemetal (less RS of course!!). That said I have examples of most of them in my "SUSPECT" box!

Mark, in this instance went on the advice of a dealer who (suprise, suprise) also had one for sale and for a huge amount too, he sent him pictures and low and behold the dealer said it was Pucker!!!

Gentlemen (this will ruffle a few feathers) in my experience many dealers cannot be trusted, they are driven by finance not fairness and in some cases will make up stories to give a run of the mill item some provenance!

That is why I am such a fan of this Forum, you can ask a question and get many replies, most of which are backed with experience and a knowledge and not tall stories, well most of the time! lol

Mark posted some badges a few days ago and had a negative reply from some quarters, I feel this may have led to his seeking info from elsewhere and look where that has led.

If there is a post that appears to have a very obvious reply, it may not be that obvious to all!

I have no problem whatsoever with people asking obvious questions and I often ask about items out of my area of interest too!

As to the words used in replies, dubious or suspect is a little more palatable than Fake!! But Repro, copy, fake, restrike... what ever you call them, they are not genuine!

Hope that we are all friends after this little outing! If not ... well that's a shame!

Have a good weekend and happy hunting!

Andy

Tags
42nd, all brass, black watch, economy