British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-09, 11:50 AM

Default 68 DIFFERENT ORIGINAL WW2 FORMATION SIGNS PATCHES

Hello there all you experts on this subject.

Take a look at Ebay no 110428112433 and be amazed at the truly wonderful selection of 'rare' formation signs for sale. Almost too good to be true!

Last edited by ORISKANY; 27-08-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 27-08-09, 12:35 PM

Here is an image for you to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW2 FMN SIGNS.jpg (41.8 KB, 234 views)
Old 27-08-09, 01:48 PM
L&BH

May I suggest that all of them are not WW2 as stipulated? For instance, the 6th Armoured Div one (Mailed fist) didn't exist in matching pair during WWII (correct me if I'm wrong)...and when I see the one in the middle, the thumb is on the left of the fist, which shows the insignia has been rotated 90°CCW. This one looks post war to me. Am I wrong?

Last edited by L&BH; 27-08-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 27-08-09, 05:36 PM

Hmmm. Most of them look like the phonies turned out by a certain ebay seller.

CB
Old 27-08-09, 05:43 PM
L&BH

Are you thinking about C-----d?
Old 28-08-09, 02:50 PM

I was at a D-Day commemorative event in the south of England, strangely enough at the end of June, and in the small selection of stalls was a trader selling nearly all of these things shown here as what they were - modern reproductions. Some were well made, and certainly would not have disgraced battledress of the true period. However, once they get into the market place, the rules of the game subtly shift.
Old 29-08-09, 09:51 AM

Hi good morning , most of these are complete rubbish and you can tell the badges have been artificially aged .

The Mailed fist and horse shoe examples are part of a batch that came from a dealer on the south coast of England a long time back .
These were one of the first generation attempts to fake printed insignia , they were quite well made on stiff white backing that had been aged very well ,the give away was that the print design was more of a paint type finish and if you bent the badge the paint would crack showing the base cloth .
They were very good for the time and fooled a lot of collectors cant remember all the examples but they were a few Aussie and N.Z units
Regards ,Michael.
Old 30-08-09, 08:05 PM

FOR SOME REASON THIS ITEM SEEMS TO HAVE DISAPPEARED FROM EBAY BEFORE ITS TIME WAS UP
Old 06-09-09, 07:48 PM

LOOK WHAT HAS REAPPEARED ON THE EBAY SITE AS ITEM NUMBER 110430970230 - STILL AS ORIGINAL WW2 ITEMS
Old 08-09-09, 09:13 PM

hi my 1st post on this forum. Now that the backs of these badges have been posted on ebay, are they still suspect?? Im no expert and have a small collection of family related formation patches collection in the 1950s. Many of the badges up or auction are embroidered do these look suspect and if so why?? Would appreciate anyones more expert opinion on these badges. Look forward to replies D
Old 11-09-09, 10:08 PM

Cool 68 Formation signs

Looks like some people are not put off . . . Watch for further developments . . !
Old 12-09-09, 06:55 PM

£440.00, the seller must be rather pleased.
Old 12-09-09, 07:42 PM

I do hope the buyer is satisfied as well. If they were all genuine, then the buyer will have a nice collection for his money, if not, then that is another story! Time to put this one to bed, until next time folks.
Old 13-09-09, 07:54 PM

Default 68 badges

i made a genuine enquiry about this auction and asked for some sensible insight into the vintage of these badges. no sensible reply !!!! i have not stake in this auction and have been completely open. i thought this forum was about sharing info and safe guarding our shared passion of collecting.
Old 13-09-09, 09:01 PM
L&BH

Hi there,
I'm sorry if I repeat myself but even with the backing posted, some CAN'T be "Original WW2 formation signs patches" as stated in the auction and I really feel sorry for the buyer because even if they were found in a "civilian gas mask" as the seller claims, some are not WW2 stuff (please see my comments on the 6th armoured ones). Unfortunately the number of spaghettis at the back (and god knows I love spaghettis!) is not a proof of genuinity and in some cases, it is more a proof of forgery than anything else.
I'm sorry you've felt offended by having no more replies on that topic but there have been sensible replies, maybe wasn't it what you were expecting. Don't take it personal.
Best regards,
Phil