British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-07-19, 08:16 AM

Default RHC

RHC titles with shiny plated finish. Stamped Scully Ltd, the strange thing is the S in Scully is retrograde? Can anyone put a date to this.
Old 15-07-19, 01:36 AM

Default RHC titles

Good day RM,

What type of attachments are on the back side?

If lugs and pin, then probably pre-Unification, 1968 and before.

If clutch pins, then probably from the mid '80's, when the DEU was issued.

I have the lugged titles in my collection, but they have no maker's mark on them, so I'm thinking you have the newer version.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 15-07-19, 07:38 AM

Ian, a photo of the reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0671 - Copy.jpg (43.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 15-07-19, 10:57 PM

That is definitely odd.

I served in The Royal Canadian Regiment, and when DEU came in back in the late '80's, our new metal shoulder titles had clutch pin fasteners. As these items were, I believe, not at public expense, the regiment would have had to pay for them. So, maybe Black Watch went with a manufacturer that used lugs.

I find it inconceivable that a business like Scully would make such an error as reversing the "S" on one of their products. With that, and with the rather rough looking finish of where the metal was stamped out to form the letters, I'm thinking that your titles are nasty repros or sub contracted out to some company overseas due to cost.

While I do collect Canadian Infantry badges, I tend to stop at the time of Unification in '68-'69. Therefore, I could be wrong, and if others have better info, then I am happy to be educated and corrected.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"