British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-09, 06:31 PM

Default Royal Navy Title

Hi, can anyone tell me when and where this title was worn? I assume it was worn on either khaki or navy blue battle dress, but in what time period and by who? I have seen WW2 titles in white on blue but this one is a mystery to me, any ideas?

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unidentified Riyal Navy Title.jpg (33.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 28-09-09, 06:20 PM

It looks like the ones that are worn with DPM gear,RN Medics attached to the booties had them,but it had "Commando" on the bottom
Old 29-09-09, 12:18 PM

Hi,
Worn in WW II on BD as you said. Not sure why both versions were worn though.

Regards

Danny

RN 1942 43.JPG
A screen shot from a film made in 1942 – 43.

edited to add photo

Last edited by Danny; 29-09-09 at 12:56 PM.
Old 30-09-09, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hi,
Worn in WW II on BD as you said. Not sure why both versions were worn though.

Regards

Danny

Attachment 17378
A screen shot from a film made in 1942 – 43.

edited to add photo
Cheers danny, thats clinches the time frame, just why the two varients (red on black/white on black) to work out now! out of curiosty, can you tell me what film the stll comes from?

Regards Tony
Old 30-09-09, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
It looks like the ones that are worn with DPM gear,RN Medics attached to the booties had them,but it had "Commando" on the bottom
mmm, titles like this one were never worn on DPM combat jackets! Present day RN Commando Medics (in fact all RN commandos) wear a subdued black on green shoulder title on their CS95 shirts and smocks and a desert variant as required. The white on black woven ROYAL NAVY COMMANDO title was only ever worn on the khaki wool combat jersey. Like the Royal Marines Commandos tey never wore a title on their combat jackets until the introduction of the CS95 kit. Previous to that the only title worn on DPM combat jackets by RN personnel was a printed white on blue ROYAL NAVY title, which was phased out in the mid 90s.

At the time when the RN wore serge battledress the titles were woven white on black COMMANDO which was also worn on POs/CPOs fore and aft dress, though I'm not sure if it was worn on square rig? In WW2 the Title initially worn simply said COMMANDO in white on black and later RN COMMANDO. earlier than that the white on black woven title ROYAL NAVY was worn. One exception however was the RN personnel who were part o the Combined Operations Pilotage Parties (COPPs) wo wore a khaki or camouflage smock wih a printed whte on blue ROYAL NAVY title above a combined operations red on blue tombston

My knowledge of modern RN Commando medics and Commando signallers is I assure you first hand!
Old 30-09-09, 02:14 PM

Hi Tony,
This is a still from "Advance Base" made in 1943.

Although it is a training film showing the role of the Mobile Naval Defence Organisation the film has some good footage showing various RM/RN insignia being worn.

It is available from the IWM.

Made for the Admiralty in 1943, Advanced Base provides exceptionally detailed coverage of the creation of a new port during wartime. When key naval operations extended beyond the reach of permanent naval bases such as Gibraltar and Alexandria, the navy required the rapid establishment of ‘Advanced Bases’ where warships could rest, refuel and refit

http://www.iwmshop.org.uk/product/15405/Advanced_Base

Regards

Danny
Old 30-09-09, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Andym, Just read my post and realise that it appears a bit aggressive, certainly not intended as a personal attack on you, just stating oppinions formed from first hand experience. On here to gain and share knowlage not partake in the frequent blood letting that happens on here at times!

Humble appology offered!

Regards Tony
Old 02-06-10, 05:06 PM

Default Shoulder Flashes

These badges were worn on Khaki or camoflarge gear to identify what force you belonged to also worn on Navy blue serge uniform, different countries had for example Royal Canadian Navy or Austrailian Navy. I still have mine..
Old 03-06-10, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarine1 View Post
These badges were worn on Khaki or camoflarge gear to identify what force you belonged to also worn on Navy blue serge uniform, different countries had for example Royal Canadian Navy or Austrailian Navy. I still have mine..
Hi there submarine 1, thanks for that, interesting though, I have only ever seen AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND or CANADA titles worn respectively by the RAN, RNZN or RCN. I assume when you say navy blue serge uniform you mean the RN navy blue battle dress (no 3A dress) and not square rig or fore and aft rig (No 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s)?

What time period would theses have been worn? certainly I never saw them worn during my service (1980 to present) and dont know of any other title worn in the 70s except for the printed white on blue ROYAL NAVY title!

any info is of interest.

Regards Tony
Old 03-06-10, 07:07 PM

Hi Tony, I served in the Royal Navy from September 1964 untill August 1975. I done 2 years General Service (surface ships) and 9 years in Submarines (diesel-electric). I also saw other nations wearing their country of origin shoulder flashes. Whilst at H.M.S Dolphin friendly navies use to do their Submarine Escape Training there. The only other variation I have seen is when I done my reserve time The sholder flashes read Royal Naval Reserve, I still have my kit withe these on. Incidently the blue and white version were worn on the No 6 uniforms (Whites). Thanks for your reply...Submarine
Old 16-06-10, 12:19 PM

Default titie

did not sweeper ratings wear something similar on their blue batledress serge tops I seem to remember them in the Lion bar in Rosyth docyard late 70,s ?
Old 16-06-10, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBJ MIlitaria View Post
did not sweeper ratings wear something similar on their blue batledress serge tops I seem to remember them in the Lion bar in Rosyth docyard late 70,s ?
Thats interesting, would like to know further details on this, especially as I bought this badge from you!

Regards Tony