British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-10, 06:19 AM

Default RND -again !

I know that this has been discussed before ( more than once), but I wonder if anyone could confirm or reject these RND badges as being authentic. I know that RND badges have been extensively faked, so dont hold back
Many thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rnd1.JPG (34.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg rnd2.JPG (26.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg rnd3.JPG (34.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg rnd4.JPG (25.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-02-10, 03:50 PM

Mike

Is there any chance of seeing closer pictures of the front and back of the badges please?

Paddy
Old 06-02-10, 03:51 PM

Hi Paddy,
Are these pics any better ?
Regards
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rnd1b.JPG (33.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg rnd1a.JPG (32.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg rnd2a.JPG (26.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg rnd2b.JPG (28.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg rnd3a.JPG (27.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg rnd3b.JPG (26.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-02-10, 10:56 PM

Mike

It would be nice to see clearer pics but for what it's worth here are my opinions (what they count for is up to you)

Drake - Very flat back with no real detail, no sweat hole(s), no spilt between Auxilio & Divino - Don't like this one

Nelson - Looks ok from the picture but would like to see it in the flesh, good points are that the flag at the top is cut out and the details on the sails, particularly the bottom sail look ok and it has a Gaunt plaque (enough debate on that subject). The one thing that looks different from all the other genuine ones I've seen is that the first N of Nelson is very straight as opposed to sloping.

Howe - Lugs are in a different position to most of the other genuine ones I've seen (usually up about the middle of the badge) the flags/pennants appear too voided (in all of the others I've seen the pennant tips are attached to the badge but yours are totally voided, this may just be a manufacturers variation).

Hawke - Plaque is in a different position to all the other good ones I've seen, usually behind the bird's body, very smooth back of badge with little detail - don't like this one.

Anson - Not sure about this one and would like to see a clearer pic, one good point is the strengthening bar on the rear.

Hood - Looks very clean and shiney, does it bend easily?

RND PO badge - bad point is that it has lugs and I think the general concensus is that this badge should have blades/tabs.

The other thing I've noted is that the Gaunt plaques on your badges look very uniform/clinical and tidy. There is a thread which mention that these are now being heavily faked and then attached to badges to make them appear more genuine. I have an album of RND badges on the forum and I like to think that the Bn badges are all genuine (I could be wrong). If you have a look at it you will see the points that I have mentioned above.

As I said these are only my opinions but I think the majority of the badges you have shown are fakes and I would like to have a closer look at some of the others before casting judgement.

Paddy
Old 03-05-10, 09:14 AM
Administrator

possibly an original Hood here on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HMS-HOOD-BADGE-/270571957699?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Collectables_Milit aria_LE&hash=item3eff586dc3

missing a loop I think though. 5 hours to go.
Old 03-05-10, 09:51 AM

Mike

I think it is a genuine one too and wouldn't be too bothered about the missing lug however, the top half of the anchor is also missing which would make it a more expensive repair and as it is already sitting at £23 I would prefer to wait for a complete badge and pay a higher price.

Paddy
Old 03-05-10, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Well spotted Paddy I missed that for some reason.