British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-03-10, 01:07 PM

Default RNR Port Diver badges/ RM Divers/ RN divers.

Hi all, does anyone have any images of the RNR Port Diver badges being worn?

The RNR/WRNR Port Divers were around during the late 80s to the early 90s when the Seaward Defence branch was disbanded (the Port Divers and Port Defence Parties made up the Seaward Defence branch)

I have seen WRNS light blue on black diver helmet badges (with no letters below) around, but dont know if these were regular wren badges (not sure if there ever were regular wren divers) or WRNR badges. I assume that the badges (both RNR and WRNR) would have consisted of the standard admiralty pattern diving helmet with a designation below, presumably PD for Port Diver to distinguish them from the RN Ships Divers that wore the plain helmet badge on the cuff? and that they would have come in gold on black, red on black and blue on white for RNR and light blue on black for WRNR?

Also would like to ask what the Royal Marine Divers would have worn? Once again I pressume it would have been of the naval pattern helmet badge but did they have any designation letters below? and what colours would they have come in? was there a gold on lovat green one?

I used to have (stupidly sold it) a printed cloth badge, blue on white, naval pattern divers helmet with SW underneath, very distinctly different from the Army pattern shallow water badge, any ideas what it was and when and by whom it was worn?

I have seen (on ebay) red on black PD patches (no helmet just letters) said to be Port Diver badges, is this correct and if so when would they have been worn, by whom and would they have been worn alone or below a diving helmet badge?

Lastly are the any other designation letters that have been used below diving qualification or branch badges?

Regards Tony
Old 24-03-10, 02:41 PM

Default RNR Port Diver badges/RM Divers/RN divers

Further to my original post, here is an example of a SW diver badge I found online But who in the RN (or was it RM?) wore it

Also found this subdued diver badge which I dont know if it is RN or possibly RAN or RNZN? Assume C is for Clearence Diver?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !Blcl4Fw!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEtlvO5MlTBLbv(N0YC!~~_35.jpg (16.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 162759407_tp.jpg (15.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 25-03-10, 11:34 PM

Hi,
The Royal Navy "SW" badge was introduced in 1955. No idea when it was phased out.

I have some other information on this badge and will dig it out over the next few days.

I would assume the Royal Marines would have worn the relevant divers badges if qualified, Ships Diver(?). I have never seen any gold on green versions for Lovat's.

Yes the separate "PD" does stand for Port Diver. I had always thought that there were no Divers badges made with "PD" on them and the letters were always issued as a separate item to be sewn on under the diver badge.

I think there was one other badge with the letter "F" for free diver. I don’t have any information on this one.

Do you have any photos of the WRNS light blue on black Divers Badge ?

Regards

Danny
Old 26-03-10, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hi,
The Royal Navy "SW" badge was introduced in 1955. No idea when it was phased out.

I have some other information on this badge and will dig it out over the next few days.

I would assume the Royal Marines would have worn the relevant divers badges if qualified, Ships Diver(?). I have never seen any gold on green versions for Lovat's.

Yes the separate "PD" does stand for Port Diver. I had always thought that there were no Divers badges made with "PD" on them and the letters were always issued as a separate item to be sewn on under the diver badge.

I think there was one other badge with the letter "F" for free diver. I don’t have any information on this one.

Do you have any photos of the WRNS light blue on black Divers Badge ?

Regards

Danny
Cheers for that Danny, Unfortunately I dont have any photos of the WRNS light blue on black divers badge, I know they did exist and remember seeing one being worn around 1991 but since then I 've never seen another genuine example. I have seen a repro on ebay some time ago and did think of bidding, but thought it was very over priced for a copy ( Due to the rarity and prohibitive cost of some badges, I have a collection full of repro space fillers). I may be wrong (hence the reason for posing the question) but I dont think there were ever any regular wren divers only WRNR and I think there may have only ever been two of them! (pic below) so the badges may be of extremely short supply! If I ever come accross any pictures or even an actual badge I'll post them on here for you.

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRNR%20Port%20Divers%201989.jpg (86.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Port Diver.jpg (17.8 KB, 8 views)