British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-11, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Royal Canadian Army Service Corps: Notes for cloth collectors

The RCASC went through the evolution that all corps experienced for insignia during the Second World War. The first titles were to be imposed corps abbreviations on the formation patch to which the RCASC unit was attached. Non-attached units worn shoulder titles. In 1942, corps moved away from "imposed" patches to shoulder titles and plain formation patches. In late 1942, the Canadian Army (Overseas) moved from embroidered insignia to printed insignia. The RCASC were one of the first to acquire titles, their first pattern being the white bordered gold on blue shoulder title. The borderless pattern is late war issue, likely made after mid 1944.
RCASC starch backs exist, but these have not been documented.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcasc 43 ptn canvas.jpg (39.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg rcasc 44 ptn canvas.jpg (32.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg rcasc white border starch back.jpg (41.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-03-11, 11:06 PM

Default RCASC

The white border on the early Royal Canadian Army Service Corps shoulder flashes was ordered to be removed from all titles in Jan 1944. Not sure for the reasoning. This explains why there are 2 variants of canvas printed titles for the corps.

The starch back titles do exist in a number of "variants". I use the word variant losely in this respect, as they come in a number of different colours. My grandfather came home with the starch back titles on his BD. His were a purple background with yellow lettering.I also have a very dark blue /black starchback with yellow lettering. I attribute this to late war manufacturing variations in dye rather than a true variant.

Dwayne
Old 12-03-11, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Dwayne, Do you have any documentation re the change? Eg a RO or GO? Memo, etc?
Old 12-03-11, 03:07 AM

Default Orders

I went through my grandfathers war diary in the archives....the diary for the 4th Canadian Armoured Divisional Troops Company. It was in part 2 orders.

I'm sure the ones with the border were probably worn after that date especially if they were still in circulation or already sewn on. They also look better with the border so ....walking out etc....

If you look at most photos...especially anything late 44 and into 45 the titles are the ones without the border

Dwayne
Old 12-03-11, 01:14 PM

Default RCASC

Could an expert please tell me where these three fit into the scheme of things?
Many thanks.
RCASC_01.jpg
Old 12-03-11, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Mike, The top two are the Brit made Second World War era. The bottom one is a bit of a mystery, and there isn't any provenance for it to date.