British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-04-08, 09:36 PM

Default MGC badge

Dear all,
Maybe slightly off subject, but can anyone point me in the direction of the Army Clothing Dept records you refer to- PRO ?

Thanks, Steve.
Old 23-04-08, 09:43 PM
Banned

I as previously stated do not like that plaque and believe it was affixed to enhance an otherwise common badge . The heat residue and poor placement are all red flags plus as you have already evidenced the poor quality of the engraving is not GAUNT

WITH RESPECT PAUL
Old 23-04-08, 11:28 PM

Luke,

Sorry I’m a bit late getting back on this one. Yes I noticed the left side of the crown being cut away. Thanks for the advice.

Philip
Old 23-04-08, 11:44 PM

Julian,

Many thanks for your detailed information from your research at Kew and for spotting the fake Gaunt plaque. See it went for 25 pounds plus. When you see them for 9 pounds at some dealers it seems a lot extra to pay for a fake Gaunt plaque!!

Philip
Old 24-04-08, 01:32 AM

KLR & others,
BACD (ie: within England) purchases would not require ID's ,but exports to ( & from)the Colonies ,etc would be ID'ed with country of origin? Much like the period's Pewter ,China(crockery),brassware etc was ,as required by law,at that time!!( Introduced circa 1900)
Have WM Canadian MGC ( Cap & collar) with both the JRGaunt London stamp & also 'Made in England' on it, as well. Exported item, here !!
A great deal of those supplied , by Gaunts, to NZ, etc have tablets.
Often seen on ST.John badges (non military organisation) ,etc............
I'm thinking that this addition of plaques may only apply to some special orders, such as RND (Navy purchase?), or those sourced from outside of Official/normal WD channels & for export ??
BTW 3 lug fixings are very common to many Canadian, New Zealand & Australian( & I think SA too ?) WW1 badges !!
Possibly the reason for some origional Tank Corps badges with lugs ,as sold in Canada ???????
Agree that the Gaunt tablet looks very dodgy there.

Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 24-04-08 at 07:46 AM.
Old 24-04-08, 01:39 AM
Banned

by the by that defect on the crown seems to have gotten through on a long run as I have noted several badges over the years with that defect.

PAUL
Old 24-04-08, 07:51 AM

Good to have confirmation from Paul and Steve (Dragon) about usage in Canada and Aus / NZ. I think it might be the hats they wore ? (eg badges for the British FSC had loops, the FC badges had sliders - generally).
Interesting too that the markings etc relate to export items.
Do you have govt records in Can and Aus / NZ too - it would be interesting to compare.
Steve (Badjez) - yes, the Records of Changes of the (Royal) Army Clothing Department are at the National Archives at Kew (SW London).
Philip, I agree the fake plaque seems to have done the trick - raised the price. Otherwise a nice badge (personally I wouldn't have bothered about the crown edge).