British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-08, 08:03 PM

Default Gurkha Military Police

Does anyone out there have any idea how many different types of Gurkha Military Police badges were worn during the short life of this organisation? I would appreciate images of them. I have one anodised aluminium with slider, which I believe was official issue and one early chrome plated example in flat metal without a wreath which I am led to believe was local pattern. I have recently seen a 'silver' coloured example of the issued type being sold on line and ask if this is genuine.
I do not have access to K and K I regret to say as my hobby does not extend to all metal badges, only formation signs.
Thank you.
Old 11-04-08, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

There have been hundereds of the w/m with brass sliders on ebay in the last year so soemone is knocking them out in large quantities. I would regard them all as very suspect.

Alan
Old 16-04-08, 08:35 PM

Default Gurkha MP's

Hi ya,
The first type GMP badge was locally made Crown ER etc no wreath. this was not sanctioned by the powers that be. The badge they took into use was based on the design of the British RMP. Some of the very early badges were made of cast brass with a coppery look. The issue badges were brass coloured AA. They metal mirrored that of the RMP in that WO's and officers wore Silver badges of the same design as the OR's. As has been said earlier someone is busy knocking out WM copies by the bucket load.

Collars were also AA as was the 'GMP' title, normal Redcaps M.P armband was worn. The Gurkha hat was worn with a red pugeree, badge in the front, not the side.

if you want to get rid of the early pattern let me know.

regards

Steve
Old 17-04-08, 09:25 AM

I have had a W/M/silvery GMP badge for over 10 years now (it is of very good quality, something that I don't think I have seen on the majority of modern copies), and I'm fairly confident it is correct, however I concur that the many seen on ebay are definately not correct (the ones I have seen ar far too 'flat').

ATB,
Tom
Old 22-04-08, 07:18 PM

Smile Gurkha Military Police

Thank you to those who have come up with the information so far. Any further additions will be very welcome. Images of both cap and collar badges together with shoulder titles would be appreciated.
Old 22-06-08, 02:01 PM

Default GMP badge

Hello Oriskany

If you Email removed I will send you some useful info. re GMP

badge, including photo.

Last edited by Mike; 03-08-09 at 05:03 PM. Reason: remove email address
Old 29-06-08, 05:34 PM

Default Gurkha Military Police

Hello GMP,

Thank you for that. I will take up your offer and email you directly.

ORISKANY
Old 22-09-08, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORISKANY View Post
Thank you to those who have come up with the information so far. Any further additions will be very welcome. Images of both cap and collar badges together with shoulder titles would be appreciated.
I have the gold a/a GMP badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPNX0211resize.jpg (20.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 23-09-08, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Hi ya,
The first type GMP badge was locally made Crown ER etc no wreath. this was not sanctioned by the powers that be. The badge they took into use was based on the design of the British RMP. Some of the very early badges were made of cast brass with a coppery look. The issue badges were brass coloured AA. They metal mirrored that of the RMP in that WO's and officers wore Silver badges of the same design as the OR's. As has been said earlier someone is busy knocking out WM copies by the bucket load.

Collars were also AA as was the 'GMP' title, normal Redcaps M.P armband was worn. The Gurkha hat was worn with a red pugeree, badge in the front, not the side.

if you want to get rid of the early pattern let me know.

regards

Steve
I'm not a collector of Gurkha badges, but have had this knocking around for some time. Seems to be gilding metal rather that pure brass, quite heavy and sturdy. Would this have been the early issue or a fake?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02251.JPG (59.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02252.JPG (56.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 25-09-08, 01:44 PM

Hi,
I have two early examples which were made in malaya when this type of badge was introduced. The source was impecable (one of the RMP officers who trained them). Both of these are cast brass with lugs, as are others I have seen, where as yours is die struck. The ordnance issue badges were gold staybright.

I have to be honest I am not sure about this badge, I'm not happy about all the dried brasso on the rear. Button sticks were used or cardboard, with the badge taken off the headdress to clean it. With that much brasso on the back you would be left with a nice streak on your cap when you put it back.

Whilst not certain about this one, be aware that the WM die struck version with slider is being repro'd by the bucket full and a Bronze OSD with blades has started making an appearence, sold by a well known repro manufacturer.
Sorry I cant be more helpful, but I'll make some enquires with on the gurkha network.
Regards
Steve