British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-16, 04:53 PM

Default Organizing a Collection

I just posted this in the Australian section in a post that was about organizing new acquisitions to a collection. Thought I would post it here in hopes of catching a few more forum members...

The topic is organizing collections. My interest is primarily badges of the CEF. I have recorded the source, price, provenance, finish etc of every item I have acquired. What I am up against now is that my handwritten lists and my computer summary is no longer up to the task, it just takes too long to find anything. My vision is to have a system that is logically laid out say with every item relating to a given unit in one file. That would include the ability to add in pictures as they are available. The ability to add in that recently acquired set of collars to that unit. I even envision a spot to place the price paid for the item and the worksheet keeps a running total of the numbers entered into the whole collection (of course this feature would be password protected and be hidden from the wife).

My question is does anyone know of a useful and available computer programme set up to achieve all of these factors, and maybe more that I have not included. That is to say a sort of one stop summary with everything that would ever need to be kept on file with a simple ability to add in new items.
Thanks
Don
Old 11-07-16, 05:10 PM

A long time ago a member built a badge recording program.
I think he offered a trial version through a downlink.
The message must be somewhere in the archive...

After a brief search:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=28811

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=17385

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=9506

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=40999

and it goes on ...
Use the following Google queries to find more:

badge collection database site:britishbadgeforum.com

badge collection program site:britishbadgeforum.com

Last edited by btns; 11-07-16 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added links & search query
Old 11-07-16, 05:20 PM

Hi Don,

I think that is a very relevant question and one many of us have struggled with.

I can't say that I have any answers other than to share some of my own recent efforts.

I created a file and inserted a photo for my computer reference (see screen shot). However I'm a little old fashioned, so couldn't resist having a register made up to record the same information by hand. Two pics attached. I think both have value but I get more enjoyment out of the latter.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,

Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 10.14.40 AM.jpg (59.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (65.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (61.9 KB, 53 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com

Last edited by Roy; 11-07-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 05:46 PM

BTNS and Roy:
Thank you both for taking the time to offer up these interesting solutions.
Don
Old 14-07-16, 12:23 PM

Default Organizing a Collection _Data Base to Be Available

Don! We need to talk!!!
Anyway - - - with the CEF Book there will also be a Data Base available. It will use the Cross numbering system with an "auto" reference to the Babin numbering system.
In GENERAL, you would:
Enter in the Unit ID (31st Inf Bn)
The program will present the following choices, for selection -
Article type (Hat Badge, Collar Badge, C/#, Shoulder #, Shoulder Title, button and Sweetheart)
If the Article is a Hat or Collar Badge the following would be presented for user choice:
33A (with inscription)
Type1(Pointed leaf)
Type2 (Blunt Leaf)
33B (with inscription)
After the "Badge" is Identified, user selection fields would be available to set the "Cross" Badge No. (31A-2), Badge Rank, Maker Mark (or not), Metal Type, Finish, Cost, Date of purchase, Remarks.
The program would hold a list of all known Maker Mark names with the ability to add a new one.
The program would hold a list of all known metal types (pertaining to badges)
The program would hold a list of all know "finishes"

What we are struggling with now is trying to decide if the program will present all "Cross" choices for selection or does the user enter in the choice (31A-21 presented or user types in 31A-21). If all of the Cross choices are contained in the program the process would be something like

Select- 31A or 31B
If 31A selected, then select type 1 or 2
Select 31A-2 or 31A-4 or 31A-6 or 31A-21 (Rank would be auto assign's as to selection)
If badge not contained in above list, select NPR (Not Previously reported)
Select MM (Maker Mark) or NMM (No Maker Mark)
Select Metal, Finish
Enter Cost, Purchase Date, Remarks

All of this data would then be used for pre-defined reports (total collection, Unit Holding, HB holdings,..........)

Does anyone have any thought on this - Please!!!
Old 14-07-16, 02:02 PM

Don

I have been using Fileamigo 11. It's a free database software package and you can set up and define each of the columns. You can also upload images.

You can sort and view the data by any combination of the columns you have defined.

If this sounds remotely of interest, let me know and I will share with you the different column headings I used.

John

http://www.fileamigo.com/Download.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefguy View Post
I just posted this in the Australian section in a post that was about organizing new acquisitions to a collection. Thought I would post it here in hopes of catching a few more forum members...

The topic is organizing collections. My interest is primarily badges of the CEF. I have recorded the source, price, provenance, finish etc of every item I have acquired. What I am up against now is that my handwritten lists and my computer summary is no longer up to the task, it just takes too long to find anything. My vision is to have a system that is logically laid out say with every item relating to a given unit in one file. That would include the ability to add in pictures as they are available. The ability to add in that recently acquired set of collars to that unit. I even envision a spot to place the price paid for the item and the worksheet keeps a running total of the numbers entered into the whole collection (of course this feature would be password protected and be hidden from the wife).

My question is does anyone know of a useful and available computer programme set up to achieve all of these factors, and maybe more that I have not included. That is to say a sort of one stop summary with everything that would ever need to be kept on file with a simple ability to add in new items.
Thanks
Don
Old 14-07-16, 04:05 PM

Larry and John:
I didn't realize that there was so much going on parallel to the book project. It sounds like a pretty ambitious programme. It may be exactly what I am looking for. And John thank you for the suggestion, it is one more item for me to research. I realize I should have put this into the original post but our household has been totally Mac for the last decade. I know that that precludes a lot of programmes. That is not to say that I couldn't go to a stand alone computer for the collection file in Windows, but it would not be the first choice from a compatibility perspective. I just envisage a kind of "catalogue" page where perhaps as many as three or four units are represented on a given page. Each unit would have a minimum of two photo thumbnails across the top maybe several more and when you pick a unit you will see the items that your collection contains with a brief description of the details, much as Larry mentioned, of everything you know about that badge or those many badges. Certainly where you obtained it from any associated provenance, cost (and perhaps current appraised value?), and as much detail in one spot as you feel is needed. Clearly for some units that file will be much bigger than others. In any event what I do know is this is a process that I wish I had thought through a long time ago when the collection was a little smaller.
Thanks
Don