British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-01-20, 06:02 PM

Default 2nd Volunteer Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

Added a album of 2nd vol battion for a few days
Following Cardwell reforms of 1881 only one volunteer battalion was raised for the Wiltshire Regiment until the formation of the T/A in 1908 There was no 1st vol battalion
Now for wringing of hands and banging of heads on a brick wall -o yes there is a 1st Volunteer battalion I”be seen a cap badge for sale
Following army order of 1918 one of the Wiltshire V T C became the 1 st Volunteer battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment with a strength of 820 men guarding railway track A couple of 1 st Volunteer cap badges have been for sale recently -one with some other suspect Volunteer Battalions badges
1st Volunteer Battalion Wiltshire Regimental History (1st World War) published in 1919 compiled by the adjutant Capt F C Whiting
The cap badge on the front if the NORMAL Wiltshire cap badge - If they had thier own cap badge and I suspect very proud of it You would assum this to be on the cover If there is photo evidence of this badge being worn I would like to see it As far as I” am aware the museum does not have this badge in thier collection
Sensible /observations welcome
David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 20-01-20 at 09:30 AM.