British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-16, 10:45 AM

Default Shame the things people skip-RAF India/Burma

I was given this Hurricane print yesterday, rescued from a tip. The art is not necessarily my taste but the back is of great interest, handwritten notes by the prints former owner, transcribed as follows:

" The plane that we serviced in India and Burma during WW2 1942-1945.
They were usually roughish rubbish no longer required for use in the Middle East theatre of war.
There was therefore a tremendous amount of work that we had to do to make them safe and serviceable for use against the Japanese.
Most of this work was done during the monsoon season when it was cooler.
67 Squadron was regarded as the star squadron in our area, the Arakan. See the book 'Wings Over Burma' by J Helsdon Thomas.
Dennis Murray

PS
The Squadron at one later stage were equipped with Spitfires but I was in hospital with Malaria at Camilla then. I did not ever work on the Spit and was soon after returned to the UK on a hospital ship called the 'Wanganella'(Australian)
Our Squadron markings were different to those shown on this nice print.
We painted on the fuselage 'R.D' and removed the red spot in the centre of the RAF roundel because our pilots confused it with the red spot of the Japanese rising sun.
Denis Murray
67 Squadron India/Burma
RAF
SEAC
(South East Asia Command)
Old 19-12-16, 07:43 PM

Hi Alli, Even though it's "Not to your artistic taste", that sure is a nice little memento from out of the past! Stick with it, You'll grow to love it! Regards, David.
Old 20-12-16, 01:49 PM

I'm inclined to hang it the other way round David! But as my friend pointed out yesterday this chap will be remembered now. I did a bit of digging and I think he passed away last year hence this ending up at a tip, I love it and will take good care of it. I have a little aviation corner going with a Spitty print and my friend has sent me the most stunning photo I've ever seen that I'm going to have made into a print or canvas, it is absolutely gorgeous, an Airbus A400M. Its the kind of photo that you just look at it and think all other photos go home, you're redundant.
Anyway hope you're well David
Alli
Old 20-12-16, 01:52 PM

It looks very nice & I am happy that you have saved it from oblivion Alli!

& best wishes for 2017!
Bryan
Old 20-12-16, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
It looks very nice & I am happy that you have saved it from oblivion Alli!

& best wishes for 2017!
Bryan
Thanks, you too Bryan! thanks again for all your kindness this year, love to you and yours
Alli