British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-15, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
No it is you who has got it wrong along with the Australian government and the AWM.
Are you suggesting that New Zealand should be spelt as new zealand?
The spelling of New Zealand is correct in both cases, as is the spelling of both ANZAC and Anzac, it is your understanding of linguistics, grammar, semantics, pragmatics and deixis that is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
Are you suggesting that the Indian soldier who fought at ANZAC Cove and did the drawing also got it wrong?
It was not an Indian soldier, it was a New Zealand soldier who drew the badge design (Post# 9). I also have a copy of the letter he sent to the NZ High Commissioner in London, but as proof I have the following letter that shows the design was processed by the NZEF London Record Office.

Unless you have something constructive to contribute about Anzacweek please do not comment on this thread.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 04-04-15 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 02:56 AM

Episode 2 is now available of Building Gallipoli:
"Come behind the scenes with Te Papa & Weta Workshop as we build an exhibition like no other."

http://gallipoli.tepapa.govt.nz/
Old 04-04-15, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
The spelling of New Zealand is correct in both cases, as is the spelling of both ANZAC and Anzac, it is you understanding of linguistics, grammar, semantics, pragmatics and deixis that is lacking.
Rofl. The stupidity and arrogance of some just gets worse.

21st-September-1915-badge-d.jpg
Old 16-04-15, 09:39 AM

Episode 3 & 4 are now available of Building Gallipoli:
"Come behind the scenes with Te Papa & Weta Workshop as we build an exhibition like no other."

Old 17-04-15, 02:55 AM

Thanks Brent for the links.

I have watched the first 4 episodes and am very much impressed by the concept, attention to detail and skill which are being applied to the exhibition. It should be a magnificent exhibition and a fitting tribute to those NZd'ers who fought at Gallipoli. I will have to organise myself to cross the ditch and see it.

Regards

John
Old 19-04-15, 04:07 AM

Like Pukman, I have no problems as to whether the correct spelling is either Anzac or ANZAC. As a person whose grandfather arrived at Anzac on 25 April 1915 and was KIA at Chunuck Bair with the Wellington Infantry Battalion on 8 August I feel that the spelling is irrelevant when compared with the memory that the word evokes as to the sacrifice that service personnel from both Australia and NZ have made in defending our beliefs. I also speak as a person whose father was a RAAF bomber pilot during WW2 and who lived with the trauma of protecting his crew when his aircraft crashed at Malta.

In a recent article, "Anzac for Sale: Consumer Culture, Regulations and the Shaping of a Legend, 1915-21", Australian Historical Studies Journal, Vol 46, Issue 1, March 2015, the author seems to have no problems in using the spelling Anzac, nor does the Commonwealth of Australia Gazette, Thursday 25 May 1916 which announced the legislation to protect the use of the word.

Next Saturday, 25 April, I hope that we all devote our attention to the significance and meaning of Anzac/ANZAC and not the spelling.

Regards

John

Last edited by woronora; 19-04-15 at 04:18 AM.
Old 19-04-15, 06:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
Like Pukman, I have no problems as to whether the correct spelling is either Anzac or ANZAC. As a person whose grandfather arrived at Anzac on 25 April 1915 and was KIA at Chunuck Bair with the Wellington Infantry Battalion on 8 August I feel that the spelling is irrelevant when compared with the memory that the word evokes as to the sacrifice that service personnel from both Australia and NZ have made in defending our beliefs. I also speak as a person whose father was a RAAF bomber pilot during WW2 and who lived with the trauma of protecting his crew when his aircraft crashed at Malta.

In a recent article, "Anzac for Sale: Consumer Culture, Regulations and the Shaping of a Legend, 1915-21", Australian Historical Studies Journal, Vol 46, Issue 1, March 2015, the author seems to have no problems in using the spelling Anzac, nor does the Commonwealth of Australia Gazette, Thursday 25 May 1916 which announced the legislation to protect the use of the word.

Next Saturday, 25 April, I hope that we all devote our attention to the significance and meaning of Anzac/ANZAC and not the spelling.

Regards

John
Oh I see, because your grandfather served at Gallipoli that means you know how to correctly write ANZAC. I also fail to see what the rememberance of ANZAC Day has to do with the way ANZAC is spelled. One way is simply right and the other way is simply wrong.
Maybe you should tell the governments of NZ, Australia and Turkey that they're wrong also.
Old 19-04-15, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post

Regards

John
Thank you John for your sentiments ,I could not put them more succinctly myself. Tomorrow I will be collecting for the Poppy Day collection, for ex -services welfare.
Old 19-04-15, 10:03 AM

I have always believed that the remembrance is the important function, not the spelling. I hope this Anzac/ANZAC day goes off in the respectful and peaceful way that their memory deserves.
Eddie
Old 19-04-15, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
I have always believed that the remembrance is the important function, not the spelling. I hope this Anzac/ANZAC day goes off in the respectful and peaceful way that their memory deserves.
Eddie
You obviously never read my first post on this thread and you keep rambling on about memory and respect which has got nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
Old 19-04-15, 12:34 PM

Well, I certainly wish I was there, hope you all have a great week, I see the Australian security services have been on the mark regarding a possible terrorist attack, in respect of events in Australia, anyway, stay safe, enjoy and above all, remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
You are warmly invited to attend events taking place during Anzac Week in Wellington which runs from April 18 to 25.

http://www.mch.govt.nz/anzacweek

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 19-04-15 at 02:25 PM.
Old 19-04-15, 01:02 PM

Peter,
I have read your first post on this thread, and your other posts since.
I think I was right in post 21 when I said,
I think we have came to the point where we must accept that we are not going to find common ground so I will wish you good night.
Eddie
Old 19-04-15, 02:14 PM

As an Anglo Boer War collector, I've always felt New Zealander's to be a breed apart and really rather special, they sent a disproportionally large contingent to South Africa with the very best horse's too, so I often overlook to part they played in the Great War, but, they were very exceptional soldiers, there contribution was, again, actually considerable given the size of their country.
I'm glad to see they are being remembered this week, both in their own country and on here today.
Old 22-04-15, 07:57 AM

Episode 5 is now available of Building Gallipoli:

Old 22-04-15, 12:17 PM

Thank you for that link.