British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-17, 09:55 AM

Default Tydzien Polski

In Morrisons supermarket (!) this morning I noticed in the newspaper rack the Polish newspaper Tydzien Polski 13-15 Jan 17 containing a two page article on the Inperial War Museum. This seemed welcome, but unusual so I took a look online and found this:

http://www.tydzien.co.uk/artykuly/20...-sie-i-kochal/

To my mind it is good that articles such as this reach the younger generation of Polish expatriates in UK. Mike
Old 18-01-17, 10:48 AM

Czesc Mike, nie wiedzialem, ze mowisz po polsku Mike
Old 18-01-17, 11:22 PM

The Polish contribution to our war effort was immense. I always feel sorry that when we were young, several school friends had a Polish parent who could not return to Poland after the war. Obviously there were several reasons for this but the Politics is now history. It is in deed very welcome that young Poles can read of the Imperial War Museum and its collections - but we must remember the contribution their parents and grand parents made to the legacy commemorated there too.
Mike
Old 19-01-17, 01:09 PM

I would gather that the influx of Polish servicemen to Britain after their country was invaded, would have been the catalyst for this handy Polish-English / English-Polish pocket dictionary. Dated 1940. Acquired from a local family.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PolishDictionary1940.jpg (46.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 19-01-17, 01:55 PM

Interesting - and in that case there should be French, Dutch, Belgian, Norwegian, Free Czechoslovakian and numerous other ones too ... all good Allies whose contributions are too often overlooked. I wonder how many students today could list our Allies of WW2 (or is that just me being a Grumpy old git)
Mike