British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-16, 11:18 PM

I agree completely about disturbing burial sites, that is supposed to be the same as disturbing heritage sites, but if its not Indian heritage and turns out to be old Spanish or English it is ok.
I didn't realize we could only discuss badges and not buttons . i did post a topic on what appears to be a badge.
Old 22-12-16, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Hi badgeguy. The concerns are with this thread, not the other post. Very few specifics have been posted and it is not clear what you are asking, if anything, in this thread. In particular, there isn't anything specifically military other than some unsubstantiated speculation as to the origins of the remains. A final note, it is not legally "ok" to disturb the remains of English or Spanish (and I am not sure how you can tell the difference from the remains) as well.
Old 23-12-16, 07:41 AM

Badge boy. i really do sympathise. You feel that unless we can help you identify the buttons and the badges in the other posts, you will not be able to prove the skull is NOT First Nation. Then, when you report the cave to the RCMP, they will just hand it all to the First Nation people and they will bury it for ever - and a fascinating bit of history will be lost.

I think we could all have a look at the items on

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=58734

and try and think who these photos should be sent to for a positive identification.

Good luck to you badgeboy and Merry Christmas to you all

Jon
Old 23-12-16, 09:24 AM

The face on a heraldic shield and the star and crescent badge are not British I'm sure.

The anchor button may be a post 1784 pre 1812 British Naval button (though could have been an Indian trade item as someone else suggested.)

This site is quite good for identifying relic naval buttons

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting...%20buttons.htm

and suggests that Tim Burt in Ontario is the man you need to ask about the button
Old 23-12-16, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

A link to a news article about human remains and legalities about burials and burial sites in British Columbia. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22388891/
The issue is far more complicated than meets the eye, and iiuc, these remains that badgeboy describes, depending on where found would put the onus on the land owner (if private) or the government if crown land. They would not automatically be handed over to the First Nations, until a determination had been made as to their ancestry.
Old 23-12-16, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi badgeguy. . A final note, it is not legally "ok" to disturb the remains of English or Spanish (and I am not sure how you can tell the difference from the remains) as well.
thanks bill, i have been through this all before, if the remains are in a cave, no matter what age, it is ok for the indians to remove them and do what they want with them. this even goes for remains that are no older then 20 years old.
Old 23-12-16, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lee View Post
Badge boy. i really do sympathise. You feel that unless we can help you identify the buttons and the badges in the other posts, you will not be able to prove the skull is NOT First Nation. Then, when you report the cave to the RCMP, they will just hand it all to the First Nation people and they will bury it for ever - and a fascinating bit of history will be lost.

I think we could all have a look at the items on

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=58734

and try and think who these photos should be sent to for a positive identification.

Good luck to you badgeboy and Merry Christmas to you all

Jon
Thank you Jon
This is a unique situation,http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=58734 it is was not a cave until i took the cops to see it, after i took them there the boss decided it was a cave and was then labeled a Indian burial cave, because i found the badge first and took it the cops tried to charge me with desiccating human remains and theft of indian artifacts.
the reality was, we found a unmarked grave by accident. It was clearly a victim of a crime from over 100 years ago. but because it was from human remains, it was handed to the fn for repatriation and is now hidden from history.
Old 23-12-16, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

That seems to bring some closure to this thread then. It is really drifting off the focus of the Forum.
Old 28-12-16, 04:23 PM

I got the date and who used the button but never got a id on the badge from my other post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badgeguy.jpg (117.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg badgeback.jpg (61.4 KB, 14 views)