British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-05-14, 06:31 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Books and articles that emanate from my world are very carefully edited and go through a rigorous peer review.
Julian,
I'm sure everyone believes that when they go to print! But as sure as eggs are eggs, as soon as you press print, something turns up, whether large or small to rain on your parade!

Books are superb references, but the Internet has the edge I'm afraid! Best is to use both wisely!!!

Have a great Bank Holiday!

Andy
Old 23-05-14, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Julian,
I'm sure everyone believes that when they go to print! But as sure as eggs are eggs, as soon as you press print, something turns up, whether large or small to rain on your parade!

Books are superb references, but the Internet has the edge I'm afraid! Best is to use both wisely!!!

Have a great Bank Holiday!

Andy
For me the point is not so much whether hard copy or electronic material is best but rather the quality of the research and fact checking rigour that goes into the preparation of the material in the first place.

Many of our reference books are simply albums of someone's collection with absence of facts or opinions not clearly identified as such. Notable exceptions for me in their approach to the hobby are the writings of Maj. D. Linaker, D. Seaman, Edwards & Langley and Chris Marsh among others.

And yes in a field of active research things are always underway that changes our understanding and I agree the internet is a godsend for me.

John
Old 24-05-14, 01:18 PM

Hello Dean,
Just seen this thread, do not be deceived by these, they are complete dross and made last week, really awful, get a refund!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

Nice new badge to my infantry variants collection - cast silver The Royal Irish Regiment QVC cap badge as per K&K 613. Volunteer or NCO?

Enjoy, regards Dean.
Old 25-05-14, 08:40 AM

Noted thanks Frank.
Old 29-05-14, 11:05 AM

Hi gents,

Would draw your attention to a KC version of K&K 614 in silver with blades - irregular width strings to harp listed on reputable site - Clanfield Militaria in the last day. Does this make it the Officers version if there are no VB versions then WM/silver for Officers would make sense. Would hate to say members may have been a touch hasty perhaps on my QVC version ....

Something to ponder, cheers Dean..
Old 29-05-14, 11:31 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Dean, Hope all is well down there...
Considering the prestigious nature of this regiment, personally, I would have expected the quality of an officers badge to be a lot better. I have enclosed a pic of the one I have - yes, its a HMS one from Jennens, but I would have expected nothing less for an officers badge. I would also question the use of blades, or maybe they are replacements...?
All the best and good hunting.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoyalIrishRegtOff.jpg (87.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 29-05-14, 09:55 PM

Blades on silver badges do seem incongruous but they exist ! I have a very nice HM 5th Bn KLR with blades and I think ST has examples from other regiments.
"Never say never"
Old 29-05-14, 10:14 PM
Former Member

David,

As Julian points out, Blades are not uncommon on genuine silver officers badges, they do unfortunately turn up on some not so authentic items

http://www.clanfieldmilitaria.com/viewphoto.php?x=1

http://www.clanfieldmilitaria.com/vi...h=56873&phqu=2

Andy
Old 29-05-14, 10:28 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for the image of the HMS RIR badge - a cracker. Yes the difference in quality is appreciable. My cast on e is much poorer quality and I always wonder if theatre made copy applies but the lugs are very high quality and so some what of a mixed quality overall. The Clanfield KC one is interesting with blades which I consider to be replacements too.

I am not going to keep my QVC one and put it all down to experience, I will see what another week hunting in the UK can do.

Better than local hunting I can assure you, regards Dean.
Old 29-05-14, 10:36 PM
Banned

Default A blade. A blade. My kingdom for a blade, or two!

Good evening.

Thank you Julian. You saved me making the very same observation.

Hallmarked badges are found, with original blade fittings, to numerous Regiments and units. Julian can offer 5KLR: there are also examples to Natal Carbineers, RWK and several more in my Collection. On my examples the blades are assayed. Equally, one finds officer's badges in hallmarked silver, OSD, and in silver and gilt, all with slider fittings, which many collectors seem to think are only to be found on O/R's badges. Another common misconception. For an explanation, see the forthcoming 2nd. Edition of "The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges".

It is also deeply erroneous to suggest that, to any particular Regiment, by implication of its reputation, badges would be of a particular quality.

Officers of the British Army have, in my understanding, always been responsible for the provision of their own uniform, and thus of the associated badges. Hence, the depth of their pockets determines the quality of the uniform and badges. Any reading of contemporary Great War accounts will reveal the impecuniousness of some Officers. The quality of a badge is thus a function of the producer, and of the depth of one's pocket, not of the reputation of any particular Regiment.

And, rest assured, the cost differential between a hallmarked silver badge and a non-hallmarked silver example, was considerable, even in 1917. And yes, I do have the evidence to support that observation.

Certain firms of Tailors, and badge makers, produced good quality items: Jennens and Bent & Parker being two examples of the latter. For a maker of, in my view, low quality badges, one can do no better than look at the work of Ludski. Shockingly poor in the main.

And, as Julian quite rightly says, "Never say never" a quotation I always attribute to the late and great Norman Litchfield. Now, there was a man who really knew a thing or two about badges.

He wrote a book or two as well! Well worth reading too. There I go again!

Enjoy.

S.T.

PS. Still sitting at my infamous desk.
Old 30-05-14, 07:44 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Just to clarify, I was referring to The Royal Irish Regiment, only. I also have an unmarked silver, bladed, officers, cap badge to the 16th (The Queen's) Lancers.
I take and accept all the criticism from all those members who have pointed out the "never, say never" comments and many thanks. Rgds, David
Old 30-05-14, 08:12 AM

Thanks additionally S.T for further info, cheers Dean
Old 30-05-14, 01:26 PM

Just come across this post and found it very interesting indeed!

Just to add something to the "pot", finally over here in Ireland people are becoming vocal and remembering their family members who served in the British Army. This has resulted in the appearance of a number of Regimental Societies, such as The Dublin Fusiliers, Connaught Rangers, Leinster Reg, etc. With that many white metal/silver badges are being produced for that market, by a number if so-called dealers here.

They have had rubber moulds made of the badge using a good badge and then cast the badge in the metal. This does not mean to say that ALL such looking badges are from this source, just some!

Dave
Old 30-05-14, 09:55 PM

Thanks Dave,

Good input as then one can become more aware of new badges coming into the market. I was once a birdwatcher and there is a saying about 'common birds being common' - with badges if a few rarer items come into the market in a cluster you do have to wonder. A rarer badge is rare for a reason.

Cheers Dean

Tags
royal irish regiment