British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-10, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

DPM is an acronym for Disruptive Pattern Material. It is not a Canadian term, but is often applied to Canadian insignia that is camo or subdued.
Old 23-08-10, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
DPM is an acronym for Disruptive Pattern Material. It is not a Canadian term, but is often applied to Canadian insignia that is camo or subdued.
Ok that's why, whoever I've heard that term manytimes "Disruptive Pattern."

Thanks Mr. Bill.
Old 23-08-10, 07:48 PM

Only saw these subdued types from non authorized sourcs and most after the SSF was already gone....never saw anyone wearing them ...just my two cents...Hey Bill any chance they may be a Dutch made variant?
Old 23-08-10, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Ha ha. Wonder if they are sized backs?
Old 23-08-10, 09:02 PM

haha...maybe Bill....dunno what was being worn about at Pet all the time but as someone who spent alot of time around CFB London both as a Cadet(RCR Affliliated) and as a member of the 4th (Reserve) Battalion RCR and having spent literally years of time along side of 1RCR Soldiers,friends and family,(and being a self admitted badge dork through the whole time) which means I was paying some attention,I can say that these subdued types were not worn by 1RCR SSF soldiers at any time I can recall either in the field or in Garrison on any form of dress. (ei work dress combat, or jump smock). I recieved some of these subdued types from my cousin sometime in the mid to late 90's after he was with 1RCR in Yugo and he told me he purchased them in Pet from either the canex or kit shop. again just my 2 cents but I think I would have noticed.
I,ve always assumed the items to be Canex/kitshop items...M.
Old 23-08-10, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Hello to all It was confirmed last Remembrance Day I was with many 1st and 2nd CDO. I showed them the patch and their eyes
light up and asked in disbelief were I got so many of them, I sold 2 each for $50.00CDN. Since I know them and are X Black Watch
as X Airborne Regiment.
Quote:
I don't take myself to seriously if they are fake no big deal.
I am sure that it would be a big deal to anybody who paid $50.00 for badges that may be fake.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 24-08-10 at 01:05 AM.
Old 23-08-10, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I am sure that it would be a big deal to anybody who paid $50.00 for badges that may be fake.

Phil
This is true Whoever their the ones that offered to buy them I never offered to sell them.
Just like the set of wings that you don't know about.

But that's ok I sent @ today with the Picture of the Patch and the Wings.

Quote:
Hi Al,

Joseph has already been in contact with me. We have been exchanging e-mails regarding the badges he is talking about.

I think I may have found some information to offer him so I will scan the materials I have and e-mail it.

Last edited by Recce; 23-08-10 at 11:26 PM.
Old 23-08-10, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Ha ha. Wonder if they are sized backs?
Mr Bill I think my Photo Album is Privet and only you can see?

You've seen my Airborne Collection especially all my wings nothing fake?
But I left one out and never added It.

I just want to make sure only you can see and I'll add the Airborne Wings. I just need a Promise you won't show or share,
and I can assure you theres a good reason why. Fined me one I'll give you $50.00Cdn with a song and dance.

Mr Al that replied to my @ is President: Alain Saint-Yves Canadian Forces Association Board of Directors and Constitution.

It would be Laughable If I even dared send Him pictures of Fake patches for confirmation.

http://www.canadianairborneforces.ca..._directors.htm
Old 24-08-10, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Recce, Yes your album is private, so that only mods and contacts can view. However, I am not an expert on wings, and not sure if I can be much help with your quest.
Old 24-08-10, 03:09 AM

Recce,

If these are real badges that were, as you claim, worn by members of the Airborne on their uniforms, then what's the problem with showing good photos (front and back) of the OSONS patch and the wings? Until you do that, they are simply fantasy pieces with no proof they are issued or authorized badges. If they are so special and so rare, why not show them off? What purpose is there to hiding them away and implying you have a supply of them (since you can sell them for $50 each)?
Old 24-08-10, 03:40 AM

Most soldiers are not experts on the badges they wear. The badges are issued, we put them up and hope that the sergeant major leaves us alone.
One should be very careful putting up links to the CAFA Executive - you don't know who might have fixed who's computer/telephone or just knows somebody socially.
Temporarily posting heavily edited scans of what appears to be an improperly filled out Unit Employment Record is not a good way to establish credibility with an already sceptical audience.

Phil
Old 24-08-10, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce View Post
DPM? "Deputy Provost Marshals" is the only Canadian CF. abbreviation I know do you have a picture.
I should have correcedt my post to say on CADPAT

Sorry for that
John
Old 24-08-10, 11:42 AM

Is this the "$50 patch"?

eBay - Canadian Airborne OSONS OD Subdued Cloth Insignia
Old 24-08-10, 01:30 PM

Default remining subdued about the subdued...

I guess now that I think about it that my time around CFB London would span the years 1978-1994.Correct me if I,m wrong but was 1RCR a member of the SSF for that entire window of time? what was the date of disbandment of the Force? I may be wrong but I,m thinking now that I didn't ever see these subdued thingys until well after the force was kaput.I don't remember them at canex or kit shop but my cousin does.then came reams of them at badge shows. I,m wondering if the different construction is nothing more than different runs by multiple suppliers of the same non authorized badges as is the case with some WW2 types .
Wasn't Ed Storey in the SSF? Since he may have payed more attention to the dorkish minutia than other soldiers,I wonder what he recalls?
Old 24-08-10, 03:10 PM

Ed's father was in the SSF and I got to the SSF in 1989. I think it was about 1992-93 when the SSF became 2 CMBG. I remember there was a competition to design the new patch. As a "badge dork", I too paid pretty close attention to what people were wearing. I actually got my CFPMD flashes when I met our new DCO at the DMV Office in Pembroke.

Phil
Closed Thread