British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-07, 04:14 PM

Default Loyal Suffolk Hussars, take your pick.

Two badges of the Suffolk Hussars, two thumbnails on the left are one badge, and the two on the right another badge. Try to chose an original one without looking at the rear, as many sellers on Ebay expect. You may think all of them suspect? Looking forward to your comments. Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loyal suffolk 001.jpg (44.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg loyal suffolk 002.jpg (49.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg loyal suffolk 005.jpg (36.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg loyal suffolk 006.jpg (41.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 14-10-07, 10:28 AM

Default Suffolk Yeo Cap Badges

Hi all,

The Suffolk Yeo badge was in service from 1908-1961. Naturally, having such a long life-span, there were a few variations that can still be found in examples presented in reference material, articles, Journals and auction houses. The variety makes it more difficult for collectors to spot the fakes. Like Sean, I will present you with some examples and add my own comments to them:

Badge 1 - Loops, metal yellow brass and white metal scroll.

suffolk1.jpg suffolk1-2.jpg

This badge has been bent to fit a Forage cap; the loops look original; the flags are close to the towers; bottom part of the number 3 is unvoided and the number 9 has a more rounded look when compared to other examples. The rear of the badge reveals three rectangular brazing holes.

Badge 2 - Long slider, BiM

suffolk2.jpg suffolk2-2.jpg

Flags close to towers; towers seem to taper at the top slightly; 3 strengthening bricks on the portcullis arch are thick. Bricks on towers are longer than other examples; the bottom part of the 9 and 3 are unvoided. From the front, this badge looks identical to the example in K&K 1455. The rear reveals two circular braising holes that have been lead-filled.

continued next post...
Old 14-10-07, 10:42 AM

Default Suffolk Yeomanry Continued

Badge 3 - short slider, BiM

suffolk3.jpg suffolk3-2.jpg

Flags gap is greater between towers and flags; rounded battlements; numbers 9 and 3 totally unvoided; top supporting brick on portcullis arch is triangular. Badge feels heftier. The rear reveals no braising holes. This badge is almost identical to Wilkinson's example (340).

Badge 4 - short slider, BiM

suffolk4.jpg suffolk4-2.jpg

Flags gap is greater between towers and flags; square battlements; all numbers voided; thin supporting bricks at portcullis arch. The rear of the badge reveals three oval shaped braising holes.

I let you guys discuss my observations and I'll tell you my opinion of my findings in a later post.

Regards,

Garry
Old 14-10-07, 10:10 PM

Some really nice badges on show here and quite honestly I'd always go for the ones with sweatholes rather than those without but that's not to say those without are copies and those with are genuine. The LSH is one of the only two badges I've seen (The Essex Regt. the other) which has sweatholes and a Gaunt slider stamped with the dubious 1970's brand.

Attached is mine which I'm happy with, plenty of voided numbers, sweatholes and a slider with a crimp line. That's good enough for me.