British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-14, 07:15 PM

Default Cloth Shoulder Titles, How to periodize?

When it comes to cloth shoulder scrolls I have always struggled to determine vintage. Printed types in my mind are usually categorized as WW2, while there might be exceptions to this rule, at this time I am unaware of what they might be.

Embroidered titles are more difficult for me. Posted ares examples with several different types of embroidered manufacture. What can the front or reverse tell one of the period of manufacture? Are there any rules of thumb in determining age? One indicator would be what units were active and serving in a certain time period. The Hereford L.I. being a post war piece.

Please excuse the paper remnants on some of the titles.

All input is appreciated.
Best
Jack

Last edited by irish; 12-01-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 20-01-14, 10:36 AM

It is often difficult to put a date on a cloth badge. On wartime fabrics you will find natural fibres only (wool, cotton, felt and silk); synthetic material clearly means post-war production.

Change of designation is the best way to tell: the REME light aid detachments were created from the RAOC in 1942; ACC and CMP were granted the royal prefix shortly after the war. Recconnaissance Corps was disbanded in 1946.

In other cases, titles on a woven backing are often early war and later the (cheaper ?) felt backing was used. Compare Prinses Irene badge and Reconnaissance Corps. My impression is that private purchase and unofficial insignia are mostly made on wool.

Some fabrics are typical for local foreign fabrication, like the Italian made pegasus and the rayon and Brabant weave REME Nederland.

In all other cases, the angle of the stitching is a rough indication of period of manufacture: wartime badges mostly display a direction //// on vertical parts of the lettering, and \\\\ on post-war insignia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAOC (17).jpg (42.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ACC (2).jpg (79.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Sharpshooters (2).jpg (60.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Reconnaissance Corps (10).jpg (93.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Pegasus (15).jpg (117.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg REME Nederland (1).jpg (63.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg REME Nederland (3).jpg (63.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Prinses Irene (1).jpg (57.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 20-01-14, 03:11 PM

Sorry but ACC were never granted the Royal prefix

PL
Old 20-01-14, 07:03 PM

You are absolutely correct Paul, I should have said they anticipated it when the RACC titles were manufactured.