British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-12-13, 05:31 PM

Default 1st inf div slip on

I saw these on eBay and over the years I have seen a few different combinations of slip one, is there any structure to how these were set out for example in this case is it the arms of service colour of regimental colour, is there a thread or book that covers these guess I am just trying to Learn or where to look.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 14-12-13, 05:32 PM

The reverse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 14-12-13, 06:11 PM

These are difficult to place. They could have been worn on KD in North Africa (1943), Italy (1944/45), Palestine (1945) and post War in the Middle East (Egypt and Libya). If WW2 I would hazard a guess that they may have been worn by the Divisional Machine Gun Battalion (2/7 Middlesex Regt). But there will be several post-War options.
Mike
Old 15-12-13, 12:17 AM

Default 1 Inf Div slip-on

Another option is 142 Regt, RAC, who being ex-Suffolk Regt also adopted similar badges. This regiment served in 1 Div as part of 25 Army Tank Bde. However, the short length of time between joining and leaving 1 Div would lead me to doubt myself: they only spent two months attached to 1 Div.

If I'd thought this through I could have talked myself out of writing this post!

Stephen.
Old 15-12-13, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Another option is 142 Regt, RAC, who being ex-Suffolk Regt also adopted similar badges. This regiment served in 1 Div as part of 25 Army Tank Bde. However, the short length of time between joining and leaving 1 Div would lead me to doubt myself: they only spent two months attached to 1 Div.

If I'd thought this through I could have talked myself out of writing this post!

Stephen.
This is true - 142 Regt RAC crossed my mind too. Only snag is that when 1 Inf Div was, briefly, a Mixed Division it was in UK and not wearing KD shirts (I hope)
Mike
Old 15-12-13, 07:07 AM

Default 1 Inf Div slip 0n

Mike,

Good point well made.

Stephen.
Old 15-12-13, 12:04 PM

Assuming the red/yellow bands indicate RAC, then I have 1st Recce Regt., RAC & 4/7th Royal Dragoon Guards listed as divisional troops belonging to 1st Infantry Division while in Palestine (the latter were in the middle east from 1946 until 1952, it seems).

As for 1st Div. slip-ons, I know of two other combinations:

Which was my Dad's in Palestine c. mid-1947 (I believe when 2nd Battalion, The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment was transferred to 61st Lorried Infantry Brigade (then attached to 1st Infantry Division)).

On a display in the Lincs. Regt. museum, representing the CO's runner (Stick Orderly) at Battalion HQ, Canal Zone, Egypt, c. 1950 (Stephen also has some like this).

By the way, I'm sure I've read somewhere that the red triangle backing to the 1st Div. sign signifies post-war (possibly mid 1950s onwards, I seem to recall was claimed) - does anyone know if this true or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Inf Div KD 'slip-on' (green).jpg (34.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 1st Inf Div KD 'slip-on' (black).jpg (33.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 15-12-13, 04:22 PM

Default 1 Inf Div

And, post War, yellow backing for RAC units and their attached personnel:
1 Inf Div RAMC att Armd Regt.jpg
Old 16-12-13, 02:24 AM

Default 1 Inf Div slip on

This slip-on title came with a group of Lincolnshire & Royal Lincolnshire insignia so I presume (at my peril) that it is also a Lincs item.

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2181.jpg (46.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Lincs Regt 1 Div slip-on title.jpg (70.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 16-12-13, 06:17 AM

Default 1 Inf Div

Excellent Lincolns' items from you and 11th Armoured. Thanks to you both for posting them.
Mike