British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-12-12, 06:12 PM

Default Amalgamation of the 9th/12th Royal Lancers and the Queen's Royal Lancerss

Almost all of our time on the Forum is spent looking backwards and that in itself is difficult enough. But could we for a few moments, until the interest wains or perhaps even until the results are known, fantasise a little on the quandary facing the Dress Committee dealing with the problem of deciding the badges to be worn on the numerous orders of dress by the amalgamation of the 9/12 and QRL.

The lances are relatively simple. The big problem is what should be worn in the cap.
In theory, as the senior regiment, the 9/12L should have preference. But can we see that happening? (Note: At the time of the formation of the QRL the senior regiment was the 16/5L and we know what happened there.)

Up for debate is therefore Full dress, No. 1 Dress, No.2 Dress, Mess Dress etc, etc. all to be further complicated by Officers' and Soldiers' variations not forgetting the NCOs' Arm Badge.

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 02-12-12, 08:00 PM

Personally,i think that the title will be "The Royal Lancers".
Cap/beret badge will be "the motto" with or without the addition of the crossed lances.
Old 03-12-12, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

I would predict motto unchanged and 9/12 collars.
Old 03-12-12, 12:05 PM

Default lancers

Oh dear 1st. Tankie you've really made me feel my age.....I knew both 9th. and 12th. before they amalgamated!!
had good mates in the 9th!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9th.QRl..jpg (52.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-12-12, 03:47 PM

My 2d worth.

THE QUEEN’S ROYAL LANCERS
(Prince of Wales’s)

Headdress
Cap: Queen’s Royal Lancers (16th/5th & Queen’s Royal Lancers)
Cap & Beret Badge: Queen’s Royal Lancers Motto with backing
Side Cap: Tent type no badge or with wire embroidered 9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW)
Collar Badges SD: Queen’s Royal Lancers (16th/5th Queen’s Royal Lancers)
Collar Badges No.1: 9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW)
WOs Sleeve Badge: Chad with Lances (QRL)
SNCOs Sleeve Badge: Harp (16/5 & QRL)
JNCOs Sleeve Badge: Prince of Wales’s Plume and motto (9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW))
All Ranks Sleeve Badge: VRI (17/21 & QRL)
Shoulder titles: QRL as now
Number 1 Dress: Jacket as QRL with 9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW) collars, Trousers and Overalls Yellow stripe. Remainder as above.
Tactical Recognition Flash: As image.
Stable Belt (if kept): As image.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 04:14 PM

Does anybody know a date yet ?
Old 03-12-12, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
My 2d worth.

THE QUEEN’S ROYAL LANCERS
(Prince of Wales’s)

Headdress
Cap: Queen’s Royal Lancers (16th/5th & Queen’s Royal Lancers)
Cap & Beret Badge: Queen’s Royal Lancers Motto with backing
Side Cap: Tent type no badge or with wire embroidered 9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW)
Collar Badges SD: Queen’s Royal Lancers (16th/5th Queen’s Royal Lancers)
Collar Badges No.1: 9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW)
WOs Sleeve Badge: Chad with Lances (QRL)
SNCOs Sleeve Badge: Harp (16/5 & QRL)
JNCOs Sleeve Badge: Prince of Wales’s Plume and motto (9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW))
All Ranks Sleeve Badge: VRI (17/21 & QRL)
Shoulder titles: QRL as now
Number 1 Dress: Jacket as QRL with 9th/12th Royal Lancers (PofW) collars, Trousers and Overalls Yellow stripe. Remainder as above.
Tactical Recognition Flash: As image.
Stable Belt (if kept): As image.

Marc
Hi Marc

I would agree with most of that.

One thought I had... how about wearing double (i.e. two) collar badges?
There are quite a few precedents RIF, Seaforth Hldrs, one of the Bns of the London Regiment. I feel sure there are one or two more.

This would mean we could see both the 9/12 (plumes on crossed lances, but no scroll) and the 16/5 (bicycle) side by side and no one feeling aggrieved at being left out.

This is an exercise in fantasy, endulge!

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 03-12-12, 06:35 PM

So far none of mine has incurred any public purse funding. New collars would cost.

Marc
Old 03-12-12, 09:49 PM

Well i for one hope thay dont stick with the skull and crossbones badge, its been around too long for a junior regiment.
Just my opinion
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 04-12-12, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Davey View Post
Well i for one hope thay dont stick with the skull and crossbones badge, its been around too long for a junior regiment.
Just my opinion
Malc
I agree with you on that , as the 17th/21st (My brother's old regiment) are the junior partner I think 9th/12th will have something to say if the motto takes precedence , it may be popular with collectors but means nothing to the 5th,9th ,12th and 16th. Even among ex 16th/5th members of the QRL it's not overly popular.
Old 06-12-12, 06:54 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day chaps

Can I buy in on this one please as I have more than a passing interest.

Have a look at the QRL web site it is covered in some detail.
The 9th/12th are on deployment in Germany and QRL are at Catterick. Full amalgamation wont take place until late 2014. The title is decided and is to be "Royal Lancers". However there is nothing on badges or Mottos as yet.

Whilst the 17th is the second most junior regiment, the Motto has been in constant use since 1759, can any other regiment match that? This may well give the QRL delegates some bargining power. What may pass for collars, sleeve badges etc is at this stage any ones guess. The other problem is facing colours, the 16th are the only Lancer Regiment to wear a scarlet full dress tunic and the QRL use this as a facing colour.

We shall just have to waite and see.

Cheers

Phil.
Old 24-11-13, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Personally,i think that the title will be "The Royal Lancers".
Cap/beret badge will be "the motto" with or without the addition of the crossed lances.
Hello Mike

I have just seen a sample of the new Royal Lancers Badge, unfortunately I do not as yet have an image I can post. It is though very much as you have suggested.

I would describe it like, the 9/12L embroidered beret badge, with the Crown removed, and a white-metal 'Motto' replacing the POW's plumes in the centre. The scroll has been removed from the 'Motto', and the 'OR GLORY' is embroidered below it replacing the 'IX - XII'. Fairly simple and actually looks quite good.

I understand there is a high probability that this is what will be worn, a member of the QRL stated '95% certain'
Not sure of badge size, as I have no dimensions as yet, and as I understand matters there is no further information on other insignia for the new regiment.

I hope that is of interest to all you cavalry collectors, I will post more in due course.

Rob

Last edited by Robthereiver; 24-11-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 24-11-13, 01:43 PM

Default Royal Lancers

Hi Rob ,

Something similar to this http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5142

Tony C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
Hello Mike

I have just seen a sample of the new Royal Lancers Badge, unfortunately I do not as yet have an image I can post. It is though very much as you have suggested.

I would describe it like, the 9/12L embroidered beret badge, with a white-metal 'Motto' over the POW's plumes in the centre. The scroll has been removed from the 'Motto', and the 'OR GLORY' is embroidered below it replacing the 'IX - XII'. Fairly simple and actually looks quite good.

I understand there is a high probability that this is what will be worn, a member of the QRL stated '95% certain'
Not sure of badge size, as I have no dimensions as yet, and as I understand matters there is no further information on other insignia for the new regiment.

I hope that is of interest to all you cavalry collectors, I will post more in due course.

Rob
Old 24-11-13, 02:28 PM

Hi Tony

Well, yes in principle, but the new badge is a combination of Embroidered and metal, I'm sorry if that didn't come across properly in my post.

However, it would be interesting to find out if there was any official origin to the device on the link you've post me.

Cheers
Rob
Old 12-11-14, 08:25 PM

Default jimbobqmi

I tend to agree with Mike H but I like the suggestion from 54Bty but I wonder if the poor blokes wearing it would feel more like Christmas trees than soldiers.
Just a thought.

Jim